Ready to take steps towards healthier breasts? Check out these resources for recipes, how-tos, and information to reduce your risk of breast cancer and improve breast health.
- Breasts: The Owner's Manual: Every Woman's Guide to Reducing Cancer Risk, Making Treatment Choices, and Optimizing Outcomes. Kristi Funk, M.D.
Written by a board-certified breast cancer surgeon, this warm yet straight-talking book teaches women how to reduce breast cancer risk, make treatment choices, and get the best possible results.
- Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book (6th Ed.). Susan Love, M.D.
This book contains basic information about breast anatomy and function, as well as in-depth information for women facing a breast cancer diagnosis.
- Breast Cancer Clear & Simple (2nd Ed.). American Cancer Society.
For women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, this book offers clear, easy-to-understand answers to common questions. The book covers diagnosis, treatment, and recovery, and includes checklists of important questions to bring to medical appointments. A separate section at the end explains cancer staging.
- The Vegan Starter Kit
This quick and easy read has everything you need to know about plant-based nutrition, along with sample meal plans and recipes.
- The Plant-Based Journey
A simple how-to guide for shifting to plant-based eating.
- Crazy Sexy Diet
Written by cancer thriver Kris Carr, this book has warmth, wit, and more than a little sass. You’ll also find information on nutrition, inspiration, and tasty recipes.
Hotlines & Phone Support
- Breast Care Helpline: 1-877 GO KOMEN (1-877-465-6636). Speak to a trained staff member, in English or Spanish, about breast health or breast cancer. Available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET. (Email: helpline at email@example.com.)
- Clinical Trial Information Helpline: 1-877 GO KOMEN (1-877- 465- 6636). Get information on clinical trials you or a loved one might participate in. (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Community & Resources
- Young Survival Coalition
Learn about critical issues unique to young women and breast cancer. Find information on how to connect with online support and local support groups. Learn how to get involved through lobbying, fundraising, and attending a conference.
- Pink Lotus Power Up
Designed for women diagnosed with breast cancer, Dr. Kristi Funk’s Pink Lotus hosts blogs on breast cancer and flourishing after a diagnosis. The site provides a Breast Buddies program that matches newly diagnosed women with “thrivers” of a similar age and cancer stage and a wealth of resources, information, and support.
- Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes. Lindsay Nixon.
Simple, speedy, healthful recipes for busy weeknights.
- Forks Over Knives: The Cookbook. Del Sroufe.
This collection includes oil-free recipes by plant-based chef Del Sroufe, as well as other cookbook authors and even a dietitian.
- Get Healthy, Go Vegan. Neal Barnard, M.D., and Robyn Webb.
Low-fat, plant-based recipes for a lower risk of breast cancer, type 2 diabetes, and more.
- The How Not to Die Cookbook. Michael Greger, M.D., F.A.C.L.M., and Gene Stone.
Packed with more than 120 recipes for tasty, plant-based meals, snacks, and beverages.
- Oh She Glows Cookbook. Angela Liddon.
Delicious recipes from popular blogger Angela Liddon.
- Plant Powered Families. Dreena Burton.
Healthy eating in childhood and adolescence means lower breast cancer risk later on. Try these kid-tested recipes for better health for the whole family.
- Straight Up Food. Cathy Fisher.
These whole-food, plant-based recipes are tasty, yet free of added salt, oil, and sugar.
- The Vegan 8: 100 Simple, Delicious Recipes Made with 8 Ingredients or Less. Brandi Doming.
The ultimate in easy cooking.
All the sites listed here offer low-fat, plant-based recipes that are optimal for reducing breast cancer risk.
- World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research
Find detailed evidence on lifestyle-based risk factors for breast cancer drawn from 119 studies of more than 12 million women and 260,000+ cases of breast cancer.
- American Cancer Society: Breast Cancer
Provides in-depth information on what breast cancer really is, steps to reduce your risk, screening and detection options, how to decode your diagnosis, your treatment options, and how to stay healthy after treatment.
- Susan G. Komen: Financial Assistance and Insurance
Find helpful information about insurance options and financial assistance available to women who have been diagnosed. Download free educational materials in a variety of languages. The main site also offers interactive tools and educational videos.
Videos and Podcasts
Watch nearly 200 short, entertaining, evidence-based videos on diet and lifestyle as they relate to breast cancer.
- Forks Over Knives
This documentary highlights the groundbreaking science behind whole-food, plant-based nutrition, as well as the inspiring recovery stories of real people—including a breast cancer survivor—who made the switch. Available on Netflix.
- Exam Room Podcast
For anyone interested in nutrition, this podcast features experts in plant-based nutrition discussing the power of plant foods for disease prevention and reversal.
Join the Kickstart
Prevention starts today. Join the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart.