Couscous Confetti Salad
8 1-cup servings
Couscous is a pasta from northern Africa that cooks almost instantly and, in this dish, helps make a beautiful, flavorful salad. Whole-wheat couscous is sold in natural food stores and some supermarkets.
About the Recipe194 Calories · 5.2 g Protein · 4.2 g Fiber
Makes 8 1-cup Servings
- 1 1/2 c (270 g) dry whole-wheat couscous
- 2 c (475 mL) boiling water
- 3 green onions, finely chopped, including tops
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 c (80 g) golden raisins or chopped dried apricots
- 1 juice of lemon
- 1/4 c (60 mL) seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) iodized salt
In a large bowl, combine couscous and boiling water.
Stir to mix, then cover and let stand until all the water has been absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Add green onions, bell pepper, carrot, cabbage, parsley, and raisins or apricots.
In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, vinegar, curry powder, and salt.
Add to salad and toss to mix. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Per 1-cup serving
Fat: 2.1 g
Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
Calories from Fat: 9.8%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 5.2 g
Carbohydrates: 40.2 g
Sugar: 10 g
Fiber: 4.2 g
Sodium: 283 mg
Calcium: 33 mg
Iron: 1.1 mg
Vitamin C: 40.9 mg
Beta-Carotene: 1,157 mcg
Vitamin E: 0.7 mg