These tacos can be made with fresh or frozen tofu. The frozen tofu gives it a texture similar to ground beef. To freeze the tofu, put the whole package in the freezer. Defrost it in the refrigerator. Once thawed, remove the tofu from its package and squeeze out the excess water.
About the Recipe118 Calories · 5.7 g Protein · 3.2 g Fiber
Makes 6 Servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 small bell pepper, seeded and cut into cubes (optional)
- 8.8 oz (249 g) firm tofu, crumbled
- 3 tsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1.2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1.2 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 c (76 g) tomato, diced
- 1/3 c (86 mL) salsa
- 1/2 avocado, sliced (optional)
Heat 1/4 c (60 mL) water (or low-sodium vegetable stock) in a nonstick pan. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook over high heat, stirring often, between 2 and 3 minutes.
Add tofu, chili powder, nutritional yeast (if using), garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and soy sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
Heat a tortilla in a dry heavy pan, turning it from side to side until it is soft and flexible.
Place a small amount of tofu mixture in the center, then fold the tortilla in half and remove from heat.
Garnish with lettuce, green onions, tomato, salsa, and avocado, if using. Repeat with each remaining tortilla.
Fats: 4.1 g
Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
Calories From Fat: 31.4%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 5.7 g
Carbohydrate: 16.9 g
Sugar: 2.8 g
Fiber: 3.2 g
Sodium: 321 mg
Calcium: 116 mg
Iron: 1.6 mg
Vitamin C: 10 mg
Beta-Carotene: 371 mcg
Vitamin E: 1.1 mg