Shiitake Miso Soup
Try pairing this traditional Japanese soup with Rainbow Sushi.
About the Recipe162 Calories · 8.3 g Protein · 4.3 g Fiber
Makes 4 Servings
- 4 oz (113 g) thin rice noodles or spaghetti
- 4 c (950 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 oz (227 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 c (24 g) or 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger root, minced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) miso paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce (optional)
- 2 c (60 mL) spinach or shredded cabbage
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) Sriracha (optional)
Cook noodles as directed on package to al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water, and set aside.
Meanwhile, pour 1/4 c (60 mL) broth into a large pot. Add mushrooms and cook until just soft.
Add green onions (save a little for garnish), garlic, and ginger and continue to cook until onions are translucent, adding a bit of water if needed.
Stir in remaining broth and carrots. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender. Stir in cooked noodles and miso. Let stand for a few minutes, then taste, adding more miso (or soy sauce) as desired.
Add spinach before serving, stirring until it softens. Add red pepper flakes or sriracha, if desired. Garnish with remaining green onions.
Note: You can use shredded cabbage or bok choy in place of spinach. You can also use a different thin noodle in place of rice noodles.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe):
Calories: 183 kcal
Fat: 1.5 g
Saturated Fat: <0.5 g
Calories From Fat: 7%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Sugar: 5 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 666 mg
Calcium: 53 mg
Iron: 1.5 mg
Vitamin C: 4.9 mg
Beta-Carotene: 3423 mcg
Vitamin E: 0.6 mg