Mixed Vegetable Stir-Fry
Pair this colorful stir-fry with brown or wild rice!
About the Recipe115 Calories · 4 g Protein · 5 g Fiber
Makes 4 Servings
- 3/4 c (180 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 c (120 mL) unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tsp (10 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp (0.6 mL) black pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 c (96 g) sliced button mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/8 tsp (0.6 mL) iodized salt
- 3 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 1 c (100 g) green beans, trimmed and cut in half on a diagonal
- 2 c (182 g) broccoli spears
- 1 c (109 g) snow peas, trimmed
Place 1/2 c (120 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth, apple juice, low-sodium soy sauce, garlic, ginger, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and black pepper into a small saucepan.
Separately, mix the cornstarch and water together until smooth. Add to the saucepan and slowly heat, while whisking, over medium heat. The sauce is finished once it thickens to desired consistency. If it gets too thick, you can dilute with a little more vegetable broth. If it needs to be thicker, you can add more diluted cornstarch. Adjust seasoning to taste.
To make the stir-fry, heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 2 or 3 tbsp (30-45 mL) of the vegetable broth and heat briefly.
Add the onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and salt. Cook and stir for a few minutes.
Add the carrots and green beans, cover, and cook a few minutes longer. Add a little more vegetable broth if the vegetables begin to stick to the skillet.
Add the broccoli and snow peas. Cook until the vegetables are brightly colored and crisp-tender.
Add as much of the sauce as you wish and serve over brown rice.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe):
Calories: 118 kcal
Fat: 1 g
Saturated Fat: <0.5 g
Calories From Fat: 5%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 4.5 g
Carbohydrates: 20.5 g
Sugar: 13 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 433 mg
Calcium: 74 mg
Iron: 1.8 mg
Vitamin C: 92 mg
Beta-Carotene: 4570 mcg
Vitamin E: 2.0 mg