The Power of Food for Diabetes Prevention and Treatment
Diabetes is a major public health problem of epidemic proportions. Eleven percent of the U.S. adult population has diabetes (up from eight percent in 2007), and nearly one-third of those 65 and older have the disease. Uncontrolled, diabetes can lead to complications from head to toe, including stroke, loss of vision, heart disease, kidney failure, and various problems due to nerve damage and circulatory problems, such as erectile dysfunction or lower-extremity amputation. Research studies have demonstrated that a plant-based nutrition approach reduces the risk of diabetes and can greatly benefit those who have been diagnosed with the disease.
The goal of the Food for Life: Diabetes Initiative program is to empower people who have diabetes and those concerned about developing diabetes, along with their friends and family members with new information and skills. Each class offers a cooking demonstration, and provides samples of delicious, health-promoting dishes, along with a take-home packet of easy and affordable recipes.
This is a FREE class series. Participants must register to attend. Classes are held at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine office, 5100 Wisconsin Ave. N.W., Suite 400, Washington, D.C., 20016
- Tuesday, July 31, 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.: Introduction lecture by Barnard Medical Center Physicians
- Tuesday, August 7, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Introduction to How Foods Fight Diabetes
- Tuesday, August 14, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: The Power of Your Plate and Grocery Cart
- Tuesday, August 21, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Understanding Type 2 Diabetes
- Tuesday, August 28, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Designing a Diet for Maximum Weight Control
Start Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2018
End Date: Tuesday, August 28, 2018
5100 Wisconsin Ave NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20016
Registration will open on July 17.
CRACKING THE WELLNESS CODE: HEALTH SUMMIT 2018
Date: Sunday, July 8, 2018
Time: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm; Check-in: 8:00 a.m.
Location: India Community Center, Milpitas, CA