A classic soup sure to satisfy for lunch or dinner!
About the Recipe203 Calories · 9 g Protein · 7 g Fiber
Makes 4 Servings
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 6 c (1,420 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 28-oz (794-g) can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil
- 3 tsp (15 mL) dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp (1.2 mL) iodized salt
- to taste ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 15-oz (384-g) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c (122 g) dry macaroni noodles
- 1/2 c (121 g) frozen lima beans
- 1 1/2 c (45 g) fresh chopped spinach, or 1/2 c (75 g) frozen chopped spinach
Saute the onion in 1/4 c (60 mL) of the vegetable broth on medium-low heat for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 3 more minutes.
Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, and remaining vegetable broth. Increase the heat to medium-high to bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Then add the zucchini, basil, parsley, salt, black pepper, kidney beans, macaroni, and lima beans. Increase the heat to medium-high to bring back to a boil.
Boil for 1 minute, then reduce the heat to simmer on low, covered, for 8 more minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 3 more minutes.
Note: A stick of celery is also called a rib of celery. A celery stalk is the whole bunch!
Per serving (1/8 of recipe):
Calories: 400 kcal
Fat: 2.8 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Calories From Fat: 6%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 18 g
Carbohydrates: 66 g
Sugar: 11 g
Fiber: 14 g
Sodium: 575 mg
Calcium: 188 mg
Iron: 5.3 mg
Vitamin C: 45 mg
Beta-Carotene: 3022 mcg
Vitamin E: 1.9 mg