Wilmington, NC 28403
Are you ready to kickstart your health goals for the New Year? Join us to learn how to achieve and maintain a healthy weight and life!
In this five-class series, you'll learn practical cooking skills and tips that make meals healthful and delicious.
1. Power of Your Plate: More than one-third of adults in the U.S. are obese – a condition that can lead to many other health problems including diabetes, heart disease, and even increase one’s cancer risk. This introductory class will look at factors in foods for effective weight management. We'll discuss how and why plant-based diets are beneficial for health in a multitude of ways. You'll get suggestions and tips for plant-based breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snack foods.
2. Let's Go: The second class includes a brief review of what was learned in the introductory class. You'll also be guided through how to read a food nutrition label and what components to look for. You'll learn helpful tips are on how to easily follow a low-fat, high-fiber diet, and you'll be challenged to build their menu for the next week.
3. Getting in Gear: Changing your diet can be especially difficult when dining out for the very first time. Adopting a plant-based diet does not have to mean limited options – in fact, you may discover you really like a lot of new foods that were not previously a part of your diet. This class offers you guidance on what to order within a variety of restaurant cuisines.
4. Breaking the Food Seduction: Ever wonder why after eating copious amounts of sweets or cheese, you still crave more? It’s related to how these foods influence our brain chemistry. Discover how sugar, dairy products, and meat products are unfavorable for healthy weight management as well as why they have addictive qualities. We'll discuss suggestions on how to best avoid the temptation of these foods.
5. Keys for Natural Appetite Control: Plant foods, not animal products, contain fiber. Fiber is important because it keeps you fuller for longer and lowers your cholesterol. Ideally, you should aim for 40 grams of fiber each day. Taking care to eat an abundance of low-fat, high-fiber, plant foods can help you reach your health goals such as maintaining a healthy weight or lowering your cholesterol level.