Animal Use in Allopathic and Osteopathic (†) General Surgery Residency Programs in the United States: An Ongoing Survey
Updated: January 8, 2020
Programs Using Animals (60)
- AdventHealth Orlando – Orlando, Fla.
- (†) Arnot Ogden Medical Center – Elmira, N.Y.
- (†) Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital – Warren, Mich.
- Ascension Providence/Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (MSUCHM) – Southfield, Mich.
- Beaumont Health (Royal Oak) – Royal Oak, Mich.
- (†) Campbell University – Fayetteville, N.C.
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center – Los Angeles, Calif.
- Creighton University School of Medicine/Maricopa Medical Center (Phoenix) – Phoenix, Ariz.
- Creighton University School of Medicine/St. Joseph's Medical Center (Phoenix) – Phoenix, Ariz.
- Danbury Hospital – Danbury, Conn.
- George Washington University – Washington, D.C.
- (†) Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital – Wyandotte, Mich.
- Jackson Memorial Hospital/Jackson Health System – Miami, Fla.
- Johns Hopkins University – Baltimore, Md.
- Kaiser Permanente Southern California (Los Angeles) – Los Angeles, Calif.
- Loma Linda University Health Education Consortium – Loma Linda, Calif.
- Los Angeles County-Harbor-UCLA Memorial Center – Torrance, Calif.
- Loyola University Medical Center – Maywood, Ill.
- Massachusetts General Hospital – Boston, Mass.
- McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University – Chicago, Ill.
- (†) Medical City North Texas Consortium Graduate Medical Education – Fort Worth, Texas
- Medical College of Georgia – Augusta, Ga.
- Medical University of South Carolina – Charleston, S.C.
- Morehouse School of Medicine – Atlanta, Ga.
- Naval Medical Center (San Diego) – San Diego, Calif.
- New Hanover Regional Medical Center – Wilmington, N.C.
- (†) New York University (NYU) School of Medicine (Brooklyn) – Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Oregon Health & Science University – Portland, Ore.
- Orlando Health – Orlando, Fla.
- Prisma Health-Upstate/University of South Carolina School of Medicine – Greenville, S.C.
- Riverside Community Hospital/University of California Riverside School of Medicine – Riverside, Calif.
- Saint Joseph Hospital – Denver, Colo.
- (†) Sparrow Hospital – Lansing, Mich.
- Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System – Spartanburg, S.C.
- Spectrum Health/Michigan State University – Grand Rapids, Mich.
- St. Agnes Healthcare – Baltimore, Md.
- Stamford Hospital/Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons – Stamford, Conn.
- St. Mary’s Hospital (Waterbury) – Waterbury, Conn.
- TriHealth (Good Samaritan Hospital) – Cincinnati, Ohio
- Tulane University – New Orleans, La.
- University of Alabama Medical Center – Birmingham, Ala.
- University of Arizona College of Medicine (Tucson) – Tucson, Ariz.
- University of California Davis Health – Sacramento, Calif.
- University of California (San Diego) Medical Center – La Jolla, Calif.
- University of Colorado – Aurora, Colo.
- University of Connecticut – Farmington, Conn.
- University of Florida – Gainesville, Fla.
- University of Kansas School of Medicine – Kansas City, Kan.
- University of Louisville School of Medicine – Louisville, Ky.
- University of Maryland – Baltimore, Md.
- University of Mississippi Medical Center – Jackson, Miss.
- University of Puerto Rico – San Juan, Puerto Rico
- University of South Alabama – Mobile, Ala.
- University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center – Los Angeles, Calif.
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga – Chattanooga, Tenn.
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston – Houston, Texas
- University of Virginia Medical Center – Charlottesville, Va.
- University of Washington – Seattle, Wash.
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine – Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine – Kalamazoo, Mich.
Programs Using Only Nonanimal Methods (154)
- Brookwood Baptist Health – Birmingham
- Abrazo Health Network – Glendale
- HonorHealth John C. Lincoln Medical Center – Phoenix
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (Arizona) – Phoenix
- (†) Midwestern University Osteopathic Postdoctoral Training Institute – Mesa
- University of Arizona College of Medicine (Phoenix) – Phoenix
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences – Little Rock
- Arrowhead Regional Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente (Fontana) – Colton
- Community Memorial Health System – Ventura
- Huntington Memorial Hospital – Pasadena
- Kaweah Delta Health Care District (KDHCD) – Visalia
- Riverside Community Hospital/University of California Riverside School of Medicine – Riverside
- San Joaquin General Hospital – French Camp
- Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital – Santa Barbara
- Stanford Health Care-Sponsored Stanford University – Stanford
- University of California Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine/UCLA Medical Center – Los Angeles
- University of California San Francisco (East Bay) – Oakland
- University of California (San Francisco)/Fresno – Fresno
- University of California San Francisco – San Francisco
- HealthONE Sky Ridge Medical Center – Lone Tree
- (†) HealthONE/Swedish Medical Center – Englewood
- (†) Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences-GME Consortium/St. Anthony Hospital – Lakewood
- Quinnipiac University Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine (Waterbury Hospital) – Waterbury
- Yale-New Haven Medical Center – New Haven
- Christiana Care Health Services – Newark
District of Columbia (2)
- Howard University – Washington
- MedStar Health/Georgetown-Washington Hospital – Washington
- Cleveland Clinic (Florida) – Weston
- Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine – Boca Raton
- Florida State University College of Medicine – Tallahassee
- HCA West Florida GME Consortium/Brandon Regional Hospital – Brandon
- HCA West Florida GME Consortium/Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point – Hudson
- Kendall Regional Medical Center – Miami
- Larkin Community Hospital – South Miami
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (Jacksonville) – Jacksonville
- Memorial Healthcare System (Hollywood) – Pembroke Pines
- Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida – Miami Beach
- University of Central Florida/HCA GME Consortium (Greater Orlando) – Orlando
- University of Central Florida/HCA GME Consortium (Ocala) – Ocala
- University of Florida College of Medicine Jacksonville – Jacksonville
- University of Miami Hospital and Clinics – Fort Lauderdale
- University of Miami/JFK Medical Center Palm Beach Regional GME Consortium – Atlantis
- University of South Florida Morsani – Tampa
- Emory University School of Medicine – Atlanta
- Dwight David Eisenhower Army Medical Center – Fort Gordon
- Medical Center of Central Georgia/Mercer University School of Medicine – Macon
- Memorial Health-University Medical Center/Mercer University School of Medicine (Savannah) – Savannah
- Northeast Georgia Medical Center – Gainesville
- University of Hawaii – Honolulu
- Carle Foundation Hospital – Urbana
- (†) Franciscan Health Olympia Fields – Olympia Fields
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital (Chicago) – Chicago
- Rush University Medical Center – Chicago
- Southern Illinois University – Springfield
- University of Chicago – Chicago
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago (Metropolitan Group) – Chicago
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago – Chicago
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago (Mount Sinai) – Chicago
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria – Peoria
- St. Vincent Hospitals and Health Care Center – Indianapolis
- Central Iowa Health System (Iowa Methodist Medical Center) – Des Moines
- Iowa Medical Education Collaborative – Des Moines
- Research Medical Center/Menorah Medical Center – Overland Park
- University of Kansas (Wichita) – Wichita
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine (Bowling Green) – Bowling Green
- Louisiana State University – New Orleans
- Louisiana State University (Shreveport) – Shreveport
- Maine Medical Center – Portland
- Anne Arundel Medical Center – Annapolis
- MedStar Health (Baltimore) – Baltimore
- National Capital Consortium – Bethesda
- Sinai Hospital of Baltimore – Baltimore
- Berkshire Medical Center – Pittsfield
- (†) Berkshire Medical Center – Pittsfield
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center – Boston
- Boston University Medical Center – Boston
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital – Boston
- Lahey Hospital and Medical Center – Burlington
- St. Elizabeth's Medical Center – Boston
- Tufts Medical Center – Boston
- University of Massachusetts Medical School/Baystate Medical Center – Springfield
- University of Massachusetts – Worcester
- Ascension Genesys Hospital – Grand Blanc
- Ascension St. John Hospital – Detroit
- (†) Beaumont Health (Farmington Hills) – Farmington Hills
- Beaumont Health (Trenton and Dearborn) – Trenton
- Detroit Medical Center Corporation – Detroit
- Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University – Detroit
- Henry Ford Allegiance Health – Jackson
- Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University – Detroit
- (†) Henry Ford Macomb Hospital – Clinton Township
- (†) McLaren Health Care/Greater Lansing/Michigan State University – Lansing
- McLaren Health Care/Macomb/Michigan State University – Mount Clemens
- St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor – Ypsilanti
- St. Joseph Mercy-Oakland – Pontiac
- University of Michigan Health System – Ann Arbor
- University of Minnesota – Minneapolis
- (†) Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences-GME Consortium/St. Mary’s Medical Center – Blue Springs
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine – Kansas City
- Creighton University School of Medicine (Omaha) – Omaha
- Valley Health System – Las Vegas
New Hampshire (1)
- Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital/Dartmouth-Hitchcock Program – Lebanon
New Jersey (12)
- Atlantic Health (Morristown) – Morristown
- Hackensack University Medical Center – Hackensack
- (†) Hackensack University Medical Center (Palisades) – North Bergen
- Hoboken University Medical Center – Bayonne
- Inspira Health Network – Vineland
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center – Neptune City
- Monmouth Medical Center – Long Branch
- (†) Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine/Jefferson Health/Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital – Stratford
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School – Newark
- Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School – New Brunswick
- St. Barnabas Medical Center – Livingston
- (†) St. Joseph’s University Medical Center – Paterson
New Mexico (1)
- University of New Mexico School of Medicine – Albuquerque
New York (6)
- (†) Flushing Hospital Medical Center – Flushing
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (South Nassau) – Oceanside
- Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center – Bronx
- SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn – Brooklyn
- (†) Wyckoff Heights Medical Center – Brooklyn
- Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell at Lenox Hill Hospital – New York
North Carolina (3)
- Mountain Area Health Education Center – Asheville
- University of North Carolina Hospital – Chapel Hill
- Vidant Medical Center/East Carolina University – Greenville
North Dakota (1)
- University of North Dakota – Grand Forks
- Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati – Cincinnati
- Kettering Health Network – Dayton
- (†) Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center – Toledo
- Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences – Tulsa
- University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center – Oklahoma City
- Samaritan Health Services – Corvallis
- Lehigh Valley Health Network/University of South Florida College of Medicine – Allentown
- Main Line Health System/Lankenau Medical Center – Wynnewood
- St. Luke's Hospital – Bethlehem
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) Medical Education (Mercy) – Pittsburgh
Rhode Island (1)
- Brown University – Providence
South Carolina (2)
- Grand Strand Regional Medical Center – Myrtle Beach
- Prisma Health-Midlands/University of South Carolina School of Medicine (Columbia) – Columbia
South Dakota (1)
- University of South Dakota School of Medicine – Sioux Falls
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler – Tyler
- University of Texas Medical Branch Hospitals – Galveston
- University of Texas Rio Grande Valley-Doctors Hospital at Renaissance – Edinburg
- University of Utah Health – Salt Lake City
- University of Vermont Medical Center – Burlington
- Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine – Roanoke
- Eastern Virginia Medical School – Norfolk
- Inova Fairfax Medical Campus/Inova Fairfax Hospital for Children – Falls Church
- Naval Medical Center (Portsmouth) – Portsmouth
- Virginia Commonwealth University Health System – Richmond
- St. Joseph’s Hospital – Tacoma
- Swedish Medical Center/First Hill – Seattle
- Virginia Mason Medical Center – Seattle
West Virginia (1)
- Charleston Area Medical Center/West Virginia University (Charleston Division) – Charleston