Are you an undergraduate or graduate student who needs funds to present research at the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)?
Deadline: September 6, 2019
Do you use human-relevant models, rather than animals, in order to advance biomedical and translational research? Apply for the ERA21 Student Travel Award! This travel award will provide one outstanding student with $1,000 to use toward conference registration, housing, and airfare, or any combination of these components.
- Must be accepted to present a poster or oral presentation at ABRCMS 2019 (proof of acceptance will be required after ABRCMS notification date),
- Must be a matriculated community college, undergraduate, or graduate student at an accredited U.S. institution of higher education, and
- Must be conducting human-relevant research (research using or suggesting future use of animals is not eligible)
- Examples of eligible research include studying microphysiological systems, bioengineering, computational modeling, organoids, and more.
A complete ERA21 Student Travel Award application contains three parts:
- A short resume or CV
- A brief personal statement describing your interests and experience using nonanimal methods and technology (max 500 words)
- The abstract submitted to present at ABRCMS
All applications will be reviewed and evaluated by the following criteria:
- Experience conducting independent research,
- Demonstrated interest in ethical sciences,
- Well-written abstract and thoughtful personal statement, and
- Stated commitment to pursue a career using nonanimal methods
You will receive an email by early October regarding the final status of your application.
Requirements of Accepted Awardee
As an ERA21 Student Travel Awardee you will be held to a high standard. Your full participation in the conference is required. The following is mandatory of the awardee:
- Present your poster/oral presentation at your assigned time
- Stay for the entirety of the conference
- Complete affirmation forms and book travel by assigned ABRCMS deadlines
- Write a brief article describing your experience at the conference (max 750 words – more instruction will be provided to awardee)
Failure to complete the requirements may result in being removed from the ERA21 Student Travel Award. Please note per diems and reimbursements will not be given.
Preference will be given to students who have not received the ABRCMS Student Travel Award.
For questions or to submit your application, send all materials to Janine McCarthy at email@example.com.