Washington, D.C., nonprofit organization dedicated to saving and improving human and animal lives seeks a professional with at least three years of event planning experience to plan and execute virtual and in-person events for the purpose of fundraising and member engagement. This position requires experience with a plant-based diet for menu planning and may require occasional travel.
About the Physicians Committee
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is dedicated to saving and improving human and animal lives through plant-based diets and ethical and effective scientific research. Our vision is to create a healthier world through a new emphasis on plant-based nutrition, and scientific research conducted ethically, without using animals. We invite you to visit our YouTube channel, our website, and Physicians Committee president Dr. Neal Barnard’s blog.
About the Development Team
The development team supports the Physicians Committee’s work through a variety of fundraising channels, including individual gifts, grants, direct response, legacy giving, and special events. The team members are dedicated to finding innovative ways to keep existing supporters informed of campaign progress and to seek new support. The team is knowledgeable and well-versed in the organization’s efforts and prides itself on being creative, accessible, donor-centric, and supportive of each other.
About this Career Opportunity
The Special Events Coordinator will work with the vice president of development to plan events and handle the details of virtual and in-person events that will support the Physicians Committee's fundraising program. Events are designed to educate attendees about the Physicians Committee's mission and work as well as create opportunities for engagement with Physicians Committee development and program team members. Essential functions and specific duties include:
Coordinate event details:
- Act as the primary contact for fundraising events for Physician Committee team members, Physicians Committee members, and external partners
- Liaise with consultants and vendors
- Create budgets for approval, verify payment requests, and maintain a financial overview for fundraising events
- Develop relationships with celebrities, VIPs, and members for the purpose of raising funds and the Physicians Committee’s profile through special events
- Manage all aspects of events, from strategic planning to post-event follow-up
- Attend events as needed
- Coordinate with the communications team to promote events to media outlets when appropriate
- Coordinate with the publications team to design event promotional materials
- Coordinate with development team members to create a marketing plan to promote events to our membership, including event follow-up
- Work closely with the major gifts team and other members of the development team to optimize the Physicians Committee experience for event guests
- Plan creative ways to help connect guests with the Physicians Committee’s work—before, during, and after the event
- Prepare notes on attendees to assist the major gifts team and the Physicians Committee’s leadership with engagement during the event
- Ensure details relating to all events are recorded in Raiser’s Edge
This is a full-time position that involves evening or weekend work and attending events that occasionally require travel.The role regularly requires some work to be performed at our headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Friendship Heights on Metro’s Red Line). Some work can be performed remotely from a location proximate to the office if desired.
Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for a professional with at least three years of experience with planning and executing events and experience with a plant-based diet for menu planning. Knowledge of the EveryAction and/or Raiser’s Edge platforms is a plus. We’re also looking for a team member with creativity, strong communication and organizational skills, and the ability to always be thinking about how to add an extra special touch to our events and fundraising efforts. If you havethese qualifications and are passionate about the Physicians Committee's mission, we'd like to hear from you.
How to Apply
We require a formal cover letter and resume to apply. In your cover letter, please tell us about your interest in our mission, your related experience and accomplishments, and your professional goals. Click here to apply online. We look forward to hearing from you! Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.