Seeking a professional with at least three years of work experience for an administrative role supporting a nutrition-oriented program department of a Washington, D.C., nonprofit that promotes a plant-based diet. An understanding of the health benefits of a plant-based diet is required.
About the Physicians Committee
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is dedicated to saving and improving human and animal lives through plant-based diets and ethical and effective scientific research. Our vision is to create a healthier world through a new emphasis on plant-based nutrition, and scientific research conducted ethically, without using animals. We invite you to visit our YouTube channel, our website, and Physicians Committee president Dr. Neal Barnard’s blog.
About the Nutrition Team
Over the past three decades, the Physicians Committee’s nutrition department has achieved many important successes. We have contributed to the elimination of the “meat group” in federal nutrition guidelines, carried out clinical research studies that have revolutionized the treatment of diabetes, and provided the scientific foundation for the health benefits of plant-based diets. We aim to propel continued progress through direct patient care, nutrition education, and advocacy.
About this Career Opportunity
The nutrition associate will report to the managing director of nutrition. This team member will support the entire nutrition department, liaise with Physicians Committee executive leadership, and directly support a variety of nutrition education programs that aim to educate health care professionals and the public about good nutrition. Essential functions will include:
- Supporting the nutrition department with all administrative tasks including responding to phone and email requests, preparing correspondence, filing, preparing check requests and vendor payments, maintaining spreadsheets and databases, etc.
- Assisting with organizing and facilitating education programs including online classes, an annual conference, and nutrition advocacy campaigns
- Assisting with researching and editing resource materials for public education programs
- Interacting with the public and representing the Physicians Committee at events
- Completing other administrative tasks, as needed
Who We’re Looking For
We are seeking a professional with at least three years of experience performing administrative functions and an understanding of the health benefits of a plant-based diet. Applicants should also have:
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to handle a high volume of correspondence and summarize key issues and activities
- A commitment to working in a team environment and the ability to multitask with team members across the organization
- Ability to complete tasks with enthusiasm, determination, and efficiency and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Skills in managing multiple projects under deadline with adaptability throughout
- Experience with research via online databases
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Zoom
- Flexibility to work weekends, evenings, and ability to travel, when needed
- A willingness to represent the Physicians Committee at conferences, meetings, and public events
This is a full-time position that regularly requires some work to be performed at our headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Friendship Heights on Metro’s Red Line). Some work can be performed remotely from a location proximate to the office if desired.
How to Apply
We require a cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, please tell us about your interest in our mission, your related experience and accomplishments, and your professional goals. Click here to apply online. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. We look forward to hearing from you.