Nonprofit in Washington, D.C., seeks a scientist with an advanced degree in biology, bioinformatics, or a related field to strategize and implement efforts to replace animals in basic and medical research with human-relevant research methods (position requires travel).
About the Physicians Committee
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is dedicated to saving and improving human and animal lives through plant-based diets and ethical and effective scientific research. Our vision is to create a healthier world through a new emphasis on plant-based nutrition, and scientific research conducted ethically, without using animals. We invite you to visit our YouTube channel, our website, and Physicians Committee president Dr. Neal Barnard’s blog.
About the Research and Regulatory Affairs Team
The Research and Regulatory Affairs team are experts in human-relevant research and testing methods. We collaborate with regulatory, industrial, and academic scientists to develop, assess, and promote alternatives to animals in science. We engage our physician and lay members to make policy changes to improve public health, research, and education practice.
About this Career Opportunity
The Medical Research Specialist will work with experts in academia, makers of nonanimal research methods, and other allies to strategize and execute scientific and policy changes at the National Institutes of Health and other government agencies that will lead to an increase in the funding and conduct of nonanimal health research methods. The candidate will also assist in developing research tools to support primary research in academia.
Essential functions include:
- Engage researchers and other professionals, determine and implement initiatives, policies, or practices which could facilitate increased support of nonanimal research by the National Institutes of Health or other funding bodies
- Author peer-reviewed articles, policy recommendations, breaking research synopses, and commentaries promoting human-relevant research methods to scientific and lay audiences
- Assist in developing online and specialized resources for researchers such as protocol repositories and human-based research training content
- Identify opportunities to write public comments to relevant institutions and lead collaborative submissions as appropriate
- Attend and present at relevant scientific conferences
- Organize workshops and educational symposia for scientists, patient advocacy groups, and research resource developers
- Assist in forming coalitions with multiple stakeholder groups for research advocacy
- Assist in congressional lobbying activities and in crafting policy positions and materials
- Serve as spokesperson to lay and scientific press
- Assist the communications department in developing traditional and social media packages
This is a full-time position located at the Physicians Committee’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Friendship Heights on Metro’s Red Line).
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a scientist with an interest in ending animal research by advancing human-relevant, nonanimal research methods in a number of research fields, with an emphasis on Alzheimer's and related dementias. Additionally, we are looking for a team player who will tackle his or her work with diplomacy, a sense of urgency and persistence. We want to hear from you if you share these qualities and are:
- Passionate about the Physicians Committee's mission to end the use of animals in research, education, and testing
- Able to strongly yet diplomatically advocate for our position
- Able to independently determine and implement strategies and capitalize on opportunities for collaboration with external stakeholders
- An excellent writer
- Willing to travel, present, and network to further our message and build connections to facilitate progress
- Have a post-graduate degree in the life sciences. A background in stem cell research, vascular biology, neurosciences, or bioinformatics is preferred
How to Apply
In your cover letter, please tell us about your interest in our mission, your related work experience and your professional goals. Click here to apply online. We look forward to hearing from you! Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.