Seeking a professional with at least three years of work experience in food policy and/or animal research policy to coordinate advocacy outreach of a nonprofit organization in Washington, D.C., that is dedicated to saving and improving human and animal lives through plant-based diets and ethical and effective scientific research.
About the Physicians Committee
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is dedicated to saving and improving human and animal lives through plant-based diets and ethical and effective scientific research. Our vision is to create a healthier world through a new emphasis on plant-based nutrition, and scientific research conducted ethically, without using animals. We invite you to visit our YouTube channel, our website, and Physicians Committee president Dr. Neal Barnard’s blog.
About this Career Opportunity
The Government Affairs Outreach Coordinator will coordinate advocacy outreach with other organizations, coalition partners, and advocates to advance the Physician Committee’s legislative and other policy initiatives at the local, state, and federal level. Essential functions and specific duties include:
- Coordinate outreach with governmental and nongovernmental organizations, health professionals, Physician Committee members, and the public to advance the Physicians Committee’s policy initiatives.
- Identify, cultivate, and build strategic relationships to develop grassroots and “grasstops” support for legislative priorities and other policy goals
- Engage in coalition-building to support legislative and policy efforts
- Organize and lead grassroots advocacy training sessions, “town halls,” and other events to encourage and foster Physician Committee members’ participation in the legislative process
- Assist with the development and review of campaign materials, including web and social media content, lobbying materials, and other communications related to policy initiatives
- Liaise with media on policy related requests
- Maintain standard operating procedures for grassroots advocacy engagement
This is a full-time position. The role requires some work to be performed at our headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Friendship Heights on Metro’s Red Line). Some work can be performed remotely from a location proximate to the office if desired. This position also requires flexibility to attend events outside of business hours and may require some travel.
Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for a professional with at least 3 years of work experience in food policy and/or animal research policy. We are also looking for an individual who has:
- Familiarity with the legislative and/or regulatory processes at either the federal or state level
- Grassroots campaigning and organizing experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
If you have these qualifications and are passionate about the Physicians Committee's mission, we'd like to hear from you.
How to Apply
We require a formal cover letter and resume to apply. In your cover letter, please tell us about your interest in our mission, your related experience and accomplishments, and your professional goals. Click here to apply online. We look forward to hearing from you! Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.