Healthy Hospital Program
As health care systems become more aware of the health benefits of plant-based nutrition for patients, hospital menus are evolving to offer more plant-based options on patient trays.
The Physicians Committee is proud to offer free resources through our online Healthy Hospital Program to support institutions that make these menu changes. With plant-based menu items, inpatient education tools, and printable recipes, patients will be empowered to take control of their health during their hospital stay and beyond.
By adopting plant-based options, hospitals can…
- Improve Health Outcomes: Plant-based diets help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and many cancers.
- Lower Cost: Beans, vegetables, and grains are less expensive than meat and dairy products.
- Enhance Patient Satisfaction: Patients appreciate meals that help them heal.
- Fulfill Community Health Needs and Assessment: Promote healthy communities and improve top health issues through good nutrition.
- Keep Staff Healthy: Improve staff satisfaction, productivity, and well-being with healthy meals.
- Support Diversity and Inclusion: Plant-based meals meet the needs of patients from many religious traditions and cultures.
- Eliminate Processed Meat: Stop serving your patients foods that are known to cause cancer.
By adopting plant-based options and eliminating cancer-causing food products, hospitals not only provide a vital service to patients, staff, and visitors. They also serve a key educational function, modeling healthful habits. In the words of the American College of Cardiology, hospitalization can be a “teachable moment.”
Planting a Seed: Heart-Healthy Food Recommendations for Hospitals. American College of Cardiology, 2017.
Dining Services Resources
Free assets to help bring plant-based options to your hospital.