Raspberry Fudgy Brownies
A brownie made with beans? You bet! The beans add fiber, calcium, and protein, making these brownies a nutritious indulgence.
Makes 16 Servings
- 2 15-oz cans (840 g) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 c (120 mL) pitted dates
- 1/2 c (180 mL) all-fruit raspberry jam
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/8 c plus 1 tbsp (26 g) whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 c (43 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp (1.2 mL) iodized salt
- 1/4 c (42 g) mini vegan chocolate chips or 1/2 c (160 g) raspberry all-fruit jam, for topping (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F (177 C). Line an 8-by-8-inch (20-by-20-cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
Combine the black beans, dates, jam, and vanilla in a food processor.
Blend until smooth.
Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt and blend again.
Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top with moist hands. If desired, sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips or spread with the raspberry jam.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Use the parchment paper to lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut into 16 squares. Refrigerate for up to 1 week, stored in a covered container.
Per serving (1/16 of recipe):
Fat: 2.2 g
Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
Calories From Fat: 7.1%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 9 g
Carbohydrate: 58 g
Sugar: 28.6 g
Fiber: 13.4 g
Sodium: 82 mg
Calcium: 81 mg
Iron: 3.7 mg
Vitamin C: 2.1 mg
Beta-Carotene: 8 mcg
Vitamin E: 0.09 mg