Nonprofit advocacy organization dedicated to saving and improving human and animal lives through ethical and effective scientific research seeks a scientist with a master’s or doctoral degree in toxicology, pharmacology, cell biology, or a related field and at least two years of experience in a non-governmental organization, government, or industry position related to regulatory testing and/or compliance to promote alternatives to the use of animals in toxicological testing and research.
About the Physicians Committee
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is dedicated to saving and improving human and animal lives through plant-based diets and ethical and effective scientific research. Our vision is to create a healthier world through a new emphasis on plant-based nutrition, and scientific research conducted ethically, without using animals. We invite you to visit our YouTube channel, our website, and Physicians Committee president Dr. Neal Barnard’s blog.
About the Research and Regulatory Testing Team
The Physicians Committee’s Research and Regulatory Affairs team is comprised of experts in human-relevant research, education, and testing methods. We collaborate with regulatory, industrial, and academic scientists to develop, assess, and promote alternatives to the use of animals in science. We engage decision-makers in government and industry to make change.
About this Career Opportunity
The Regulatory Testing Specialist will work to promote alternatives to the use of animals in toxicological testing and research, with an emphasis on international guidelines and activities.
Essential functions include:
- Oversee all aspects of engagement with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), including organizing activities, drafting and collating comments, attending meetings, and setting strategic direction to facilitate the adoption of in vitro and in silico test guidelines and guidance documents and modifications or deletions of in vivo guidelines
- Organize in-person and online workshops, meetings, and trainings for regulator, industry, and academic scientists aligned with strategic priorities
- Analyze OECD and US EPA documents, guidelines, and practices and provide or facilitate formal input
- Advocate for increased use of in vitro and in silico methods to chemical and pesticide companies
- Assist in lobbying activities and in crafting policy positions and materials
- Perform outreach to scientists, government officials, and companies that use animals
- Author a variety of works ranging from peer-reviewed manuscripts to breaking research synopses to newsletter articles or blog posts
- Serve as spokesperson to lay and trade press with media training and guidance as needed
- Submit abstracts and present research or policy positions
This is a full-time position that may be performed at our office or remotely from any location in the United States. The Physicians Committee is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Who We’re Looking For
The ideal candidate for this position will:
- Have a master’s or doctoral degree in toxicology, pharmacology, cell biology, or a related field
- Have at least two years of experience in a non-governmental organization, government, or industry position related to regulatory testing and/or compliance
- Have a thorough understanding of concepts in toxicology and pharmacology including in vivo, in vitro, and in silico test methods and familiarity with the laws, regulations, and practices related to toxicological testing
- Be passionate about alternatives to the use of animals in research, education, and testing
- Be an excellent oral and written communicator
- Be willing to travel, present, and network to further our message and build connections to facilitate progress
Having experience with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) test guidelines and regulatory requirements is a plus.
How to Apply
We require a cover letter and resume to apply. In your cover letter, please tell us about your interest in our mission, your accomplishments or related experience, and your professional goals. Click here to apply online. We look forward to hearing from you! Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.