Meet Our Doctors and Staff
- President: Neal Barnard, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- Medical Director: James F. Loomis Jr., M.D.
- Physician: Stephen Neabore, M.D.
- Nurse Practitioner: Emily Kasmar, M.S., A.G.P.C.N.P.- B.C.
- Dietitian: Susan Levin, M.S., R.D.
- Dietitian: Karen Smith, R.D.
- Dietitian: Maggie Neola, R.D., L.D.
- Medical Assistant: Manuel Calcagno, R.M.A.
Classes and Events
For BMC Patients: Weekly Nutrition Classes
Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
Do you want to learn more about plant-based nutrition?
As a Barnard Medical Center patient, you are offered the opportunity to join a highly supportive and interactive group class. The classes are led by registered dietitians and cover a variety of nutrition topics over a 12-week period. It is preferred that you register for the class series prior to class 1, but open enrollment is provided.
To register, please call the Barnard Medical Center at (202) 527-7500 or speak with someone at the front desk.
The Power of Food for Weight Management
In a public health climate where more than one-third of adults in the United States are obese and millions have diabetes, the need for a lifestyle change is greater than it has ever been.
This curriculum is based on PCRM's successful 21-Day Vegan Kickstart program. The Kickstart has helped thousands of people adopt a plant-based diet to reach their health goals. Depending on one's perspective, the Kickstart is about losing weight, maintaining a healthy weight, or simply embracing an overall healthful diet. For some people, it's the first time the idea of not restricting amounts of foods but rather choosing the right foods has been the guiding principle for losing weight and staying healthy. Lower cholesterol, better diabetes control, lower blood pressure, as well as improvements in energy and mood are some of the many benefits people experience on this diet.
Discover which foods are optimal for weight management, learn about various health topics including blood pressure and digestion, and get empowered with the practical cooking skills needed to help you on your journey to better health. In our classes, attendees do all of this while enjoying a cooking demonstration and tasting delicious, healthful dishes in a supportive group setting.
This is a FREE class series, participants must register to attend. Classes are held at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine office, 5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20016.
- Tuesday, January 2, 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.: Introduction lecture by Barnard Medical Center Physicians
- Tuesday, January 9, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: The Power of Your Plate
- Tuesday, January 16: No Class
- Tuesday, January 23, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Let's Go!
- Tuesday, January 30, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Getting in Gear
- Tuesday, February 6, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Breaking the Food Seduction
- Tuesday, February 13, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Keys for Natural Appetite Control
Location and Hours
5100 Wisconsin Ave. N.W., Suite #401
Washington, D.C. 20016
Open 7am – 7pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays
8am - 6pm on Wednesdays and Fridays