Food for Life Class Series - Diabetes Initiative
The Power of Food for Diabetes Prevention and Treatment
Diabetes is a major public health problem of epidemic proportions. Eleven percent of the U.S. adult population has diabetes (up from eight percent in 2007), and nearly one-third of those 65 and older have the disease. Uncontrolled, diabetes can lead to complications from head to toe, including stroke, loss of vision, heart disease, kidney failure, and various problems due to nerve damage and circulatory problems, such as erectile dysfunction or lower-extremity amputation. Research studies have demonstrated that a plant-based nutrition approach reduces the risk of diabetes and can greatly benefit those who have been diagnosed with the disease.
The goal of the Food for Life: Diabetes Initiative program is to empower people who have diabetes and those concerned about developing diabetes, along with their friends and family members with new information and skills. Each class offers a cooking demonstration, and provides samples of delicious, health-promoting dishes, along with a take-home packet of easy and affordable recipes.
This is a FREE class series. Participants must register to attend. Classes are held at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine office, 5100 Wisconsin Ave. N.W., Suite 400, Washington, D.C., 20016
Registration will open on February 13.
- Tuesday, February 27th, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Introduction to How Foods Fight Diabetes
- Tuesday, March 6th, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: The Power of Your Plate and Grocery Cart
- Tuesday, March 13th, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Understanding Type 2 Diabetes
- Tuesday, March 20th, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.: SPECIAL EVENT: Vegan This! @ Woodrow Wilson HS
- Tuesday, March 27th, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Designing a Diet for Maximum Weight Control
5100 Wisconsin Ave NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20016
Live Vegan Vibrantly
Starts on January 30! Register for this free online speaker series, featuring Dr. Barnard and over two dozen other leading doctors, researchers, scientists, award- winning chefs, fitness instructors, best-selling authors, successful entrepreneurs, and nutritionists. The Live Vegan Vibrantly event is bringing them together to share personal and professional success stories and give you the answers, solutions, and scientific research that will allow you to heal your body and be healthy.
Fueled by the Physicians Committee, Vegan This! is a monthly event that exists to give you the support you need to thrive on a vegan diet in the DMV area.
- Connect with community influencers
- Get expert advice from speakers and success stories
- Watch live product demos and discover helpful resources
- Experience the benefits of eating vegan
Save these dates:
- March 20, 2018
- April 17, 2018
- May 15, 2018
- June 19, 2018