The Power of Food for Diabetes Prevention and Treatment
Diabetes is a major public health problem of epidemic proportions. Eleven percent of the U.S. adult population has diabetes (up from eight percent in 2007), and nearly one-third of those 65 and older have the disease. Uncontrolled, diabetes can lead to complications from head to toe, including stroke, loss of vision, heart disease, kidney failure, and various problems due to nerve damage and circulatory problems, such as erectile dysfunction or lower-extremity amputation. Research studies have demonstrated that a plant-based nutrition approach reduces the risk of diabetes and can greatly benefit those who have been diagnosed with the disease.
The goal of the Food for Life: Diabetes Initiative program is to empower people who have diabetes and those concerned about developing diabetes, along with their friends and family members with new information and skills. Each class offers a cooking demonstration, and provides samples of delicious, health-promoting dishes, along with a take-home packet of easy and affordable recipes.
This is a FREE class series. Participants must register to attend. Classes are held at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine office, 5100 Wisconsin Ave. N.W., Suite 400, Washington, D.C., 20016
- Tuesday, July 31, 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.: Introduction lecture by Barnard Medical Center Physicians
- Tuesday, August 7, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Introduction to How Foods Fight Diabetes
- Tuesday, August 14, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: The Power of Your Plate and Grocery Cart
- Tuesday, August 21, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Understanding Type 2 Diabetes
- Tuesday, August 28, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.: Designing a Diet for Maximum Weight Control
Start Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2018
End Date: Tuesday, August 28, 2018
5100 Wisconsin Ave NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20016
Register Today for the Life-Changing Kickstart Intensive Program in Washington, D.C., Sept. 21-22.
Join nutrition experts on Sept. 21-22 in Washington, D.C., for the Kickstart Intensive. We’ll provide in-depth nutrition information, cooking demonstrations, community support, plenty of inspiration, and plenty of time to have your questions answered.
This will be a life-changing experience that includes everything you need to revamp the way you eat and get started on the path to the best possible health:
- Know Your Numbers Health Tracker Station
- Permanent Weight Control
- Tackling Diabetes and Cholesterol
- Breaking Food Addictions
- Cancer Prevention and Survival
- Power Foods for the Brain
- Step-by-Step Info on Plant-based Diets
- Products that Make Life Easy
- Cooking Demonstrations by Experienced Instructors
- Delicious Vegan Meals
- Your Questions Answered
- After the Event: Year-Long Support through Barnard Medical Center
When: Friday-Saturday, September 21-22, 2018; 8 a.m. 4 p.m.
Where: Embassy Suites Chevy Chase Pavilion, 4300 Military Rd N.W., Washington, D.C. 20015
Space is limited. The rate is increases to $329 after August 15.