Spicy Thai Soup Recipe
Makes 6 1-cup servings
What a delicious way to enjoy healthy green vegetables!
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped (or more to taste)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup bite-size broccoli florets
- 1 cup packed finely chopped bok choy
- 1 green onion, finely chopped, including top
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
Mix broth, ginger, garlic, and jalapeño pepper in a pot and bring to a boil.
Add mushrooms and simmer 2 minutes.
Add broccoli and bok choy. Simmer until broccoli is tender but still bright green and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Do not overcook.
Stir in green onion and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Per 1-cup serving:
- Calories: 59
- Fat: 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Calories from Fat: 12.4%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.8 g
- Sugar: 1.3 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 152 mg
- Calcium: 43 mg
- Iron: 1.3 mg
- Vitamin C: 17 mg
- Beta-Carotene: 914 mcg
- Vitamin E: 0.5 mg
Source: Healthy Eating for Life to Prevent and Treat Diabetes by Patricia Bertron, R.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.