KICKSTART YOUR COMMUNITY
Many of our Kickstart alumni are taking their enthusiasm about the Kickstart to their community. Maybe you’ve been wondering how you can share this new and exciting approach with your friends, family, workplace, neighborhood, or other community group. Here is how people across the country are taking Kickstart to their community!
Kickstart Your Health Rochester (KYHR) provides a physician-backed approach to show you how to reach optimal health by moving the healthy basics—vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes—to the center of your plate. KickstartYourHealthRochester.org
Kickstart Your Health Little Rock teams the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine with concerned health care professionals in Little Rock, Ark., to help address the area’s alarming health statistics.
Joining in on this local effort are facilities including Baptist Health Medical Center, the University of Arkansas Medical School, and the Department of Health. Citizens of Little Rock are joining the online Kickstart program to get healthy! Learn more at KickstartLittleRock.com.
Healthy Yuma 2011 is a nationwide effort to encourage the citizens of Yuma, Ariz., to get healthy and lose weight. The HY 2011 program has a weight-loss target of 280,000 pounds for Yuma County, which organizer, Carl Myers, M.D., says translates into a medical cost savings of a projected $5.6 million a year. Dr. Myers and his spouse, Jean, are longtime supporters of a vegan diet and are actively promoting the Kickstart program to all the Healthy Yuma participants.
- Learn more about Dr. Myers’s vegan fast-food chain in Yuma, Ariz., and Berkeley, Calif., visit Natures-Express.com.
The Veganettes are co-workers who got together to support each other during the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart that began Jan. 1, 2010. They shared recipes and provided support to one another during the Kickstart. The Veganettes successfully completed the Kickstart and are now celebrating their one year anniversary. They have lost weight in a healthy way, improved their energy, and continue to share recipes and get excited over new vegan finds.
Kickstart to Your Community
- See if Dr. Barnard is coming to your area here!
- Book Club: Choose The China Study or Breaking the Food Seduction for your book of the month.
- Workplace: Organize a potluck where everyone brings vegan food.
- Church/Faith Community: Give a talk or cooking demonstration from the 21-day menu and get everyone to sign up together to do the Kickstart.
- Invite friends, family, or co-workers to a local Physicians Committee Food for Life Nutrition and Cooking Class.