Hearty Chili Mac Recipe
Makes 10 1-cup servings
Children of all ages will enjoy this tasty combination of chili and pasta.
- 8 ounces dry macaroni noodles
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 8-ounce package vegetarian ground beef substitute, or 4 vegetarian burgers, thawed (if necessary) and chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 15-ounce can corn, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
Heat water in a large pot. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
Add bell pepper and vegetarian ground beef substitute or chopped vegetarian burgers. Mix in tomatoes, beans and their liquid, corn and its liquid, chili powder, and cumin. Cover and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Add cooked pasta and check seasonings. Add more chili powder if a spicier dish is desired.
Per 1-cup serving:
- Calories: 211
- Fat: 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Calories from Fat: 8.7%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Protein: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.3 g
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 348 mg
- Calcium: 62 mg
- Iron: 3.5 mg
- Vitamin C: 23.9 mg
- Beta Carotene: 450 mcg
- Vitamin E: 1.3 mg
Source: Healthy Eating for Life for Children by Amy Lanou, Ph.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.