Chickpea Salad Rolls Recipe
Makes 4 servings
In this recipe, salad becomes finger food, as leaves of romaine lettuce are used to wrap a tasty chickpea filling. This makes a refreshing wrap that’s high in healthful fiber.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed or drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped or grated carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fat-free or low-fat vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato, sliced, or 6 to 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Coarsely mash the beans with a fork or potato masher, leaving some chunks. Add the carrot, celery, green onions, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
Place about one-quarter of the mixture on each lettuce leaf. Add one-quarter of the tomato, roll the lettuce around the filling, and serve.
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator, leftover Chickpea Salad Rolls (without the lettuce and tomato) will keep for up to 3 days.
- Calories: 163
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Calories from Fat: 22%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Protein: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.6 g
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 525 mg
- Calcium: 72 mg
- Iron: 2.9 mg
- Vitamin C: 15.2 mg
- Beta-Carotene: 2555 mcg
- Vitamin E: 1.2 mg
Source: The Survivor’s Handbook: Eating Right for Cancer Survival by Neal D. Barnard, M.D. and Jennifer Reilly, R.D.