Return to community forum >

Update and question re: risks of avoiding fats

Hello, I wanted to give you a brief update on my progress since starting the 21-day kickstart at the end of July. I have now lost 17 pounds and my HA1C test came in at 6.6. I have never been below 8 in all my 50 years with type 1 diabetes. I was excited to go see my endocrinologist to share my triumphant news. Although he was impressed with my results, he was not convinced it was because of the low-fat vegan diet. He seemed to think that any weight loss would have the same effect. I did give him the PCRM website link but I'm not convinced he will look into it. Very disappointing. My question about avoiding fats comes from multiple conversations I have had with well meaning friends who are all concerned about my health on this diet due to minimal nutrition from fats. Can anyone help me with a response? Thanks for all the support. I am completely committed to the low-fat vegan diet and haven't had a moment's doubt that it is right for me. All the best. Marilyn

Marilyn, that's fantastic! I

Marilyn, that's fantastic! I'm so proud of you. I would say that this isn't a "no fat" diet, but a "low fat" diet. By eating fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes you will naturally be getting about 10% of your calories coming from fat which is great, especially for blood sugar control. Sounds like you're doing a great job! As a side note, the only reason the percentage of calories from fat would go up in your diet is if you cook with oil, go out to eat often, rely heavily on processed foods made with oil, or eat avocados, nuts, seeds, and olives. For some these foods can be eaten in small amounts, but should be kept minimal in order to stay close to about 10% of your overall calories coming from fat each day.

Again, great work!
Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola

Blood Sugar

I was wondering, does fat in your diet have a direct impact on blood sugar? I always thought it only had an impact to the extent that it makes you gain weight.

"The scans showed researchers

"The scans showed researchers that higher fat levels in the blood caused insulin resistance by interfering with glucose transport into the muscles". From the Forks over Knives website.

Extra info: They also found that a low fat diet using foods that were made to be low fat, actually made you gain weight as the sugar content in the processed ingredients, caused weight gain. Which is why processed foods are not wise.