COMMUNITY FORUM

Return to community forum >

Smoothies v Juicing

Hi. I am very new to the plant based journey, which I decided to try out after watching several videos on YouTube including some of Dr Barnard's talks as well as Forks over Knives and Fat,Sick and Nearly Dead. I would like to know the experts opinion on the benefits of smoothies v juicing as I am considering whether I should invest in a juicer or just stick with making Smoothies. Thanks.

mneola
Welcome! While both smoothies

Welcome! While both smoothies and juicing can offer health benefits, I would recommend smoothies over juicing simply because a smoothie contains the entire fruit or vegetable, including all of the fiber. When you put food through the juicer, all the pulp is removed and often discarded which is where all the fiber is. As a result, when you drink it, you'll absorb that juice much faster in your blood stream than you would by drinking a smoothie. While freshly squeezed juice does contain some vitamins and minerals, it's not as ideal as a smoothie or better yet simply chewing the fruits and vegetables in their whole form. Think of it as a good (juice), better (smoothie), best (whole fruit or vegetable) scenario where you prioritize the best option as much as possible. Hope that helps!

Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola