COMMUNITY FORUM

Return to community forum >

New to kickstart and wanting to gain weight

Hello. I thank the heavens I found this site and see that the doctors and nutritionists really do try to make sure people participate. For that I am thankful. I found this is the middle of the month last month so I am actually waiting for this month to be over and I will start it then, that way I always have something for the next day.
But I am on a journey to become vegan and have cut meat out about 95% for about four months now. Every other weekend my boyfriend and I might have a burger. Honestly I feel horrible after I do and have vowed to myself to stop meat consumption 100%. But I am trying to gain weight as well and was very discouraged when I lost the little weight I had gained before transitioning. I've always been slim so to have finally broken the 110 barrier let alone 105 was amazing to me and I was very happy. But with the health benefits to a vegan diet I feel better than I have in a long time. I'm 28 and in very good health, only have asthma and it is very mild to non existant at times. I'd like to stay that way and this diet seems to be my best bet at that.
My problem is consistency though. I am on and off at the gym where I am now focusing solely on weight training and I know for a fact o don't eat nearly as much as I should for my goals. I am the kind of person who eats when I feel the need and stops before being full (I hate the feeling) and can sometimes forget to eat a meal if I simply don't feel the urge. I have incorporated maca powder, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and avocado to my diet as means to gain, along with cashews and seeds but again, consistency is key. These meals per day are great but not high in calories and I don't know how to cram it all in a days worth of eating.
My weight right now is about 100-105, depending on what I eat and my goal is about 115-120. I know I have my work cut out for me but the meals are harder to do than working out.
How can I increase calories because I seriously need about 2000-3000 per day, only because I am also exercising and would be burning calories too?
Thank you in advance,
Jasmine

mneola
Hi Jasmine,

Hi Jasmine,

We are excited to have you participating in the program in October. Sounds like you sometimes forget to eat if your body isn't telling you that you're hungry. I may recommend setting a daily alarm on your phone for meals that you typically forget to eat. Like you said, it'll be important to get in enough calories throughout your day, but not to the point where you are uncomfortably full. If you currently only average 2 meals a day, a good goal would be to have 3 meals and a few snacks per day using the recommended menu items. See if simply eating more throughout your day helps. If not, you may need to look into more detail at the food choices you are making. Meeting one on one with a plant-based dietitian would likely be helpful.

Best regards,
Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola

tonja_wtp@yahoo.com
Excited and ready

I am a 49 year old female who is in menopause and been experiencing menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes and insomnia . I want to decrease the symptoms, lose weight and overall be healthy. I actually started the vegan diet last Saturday and I already feel a little better and less tired. I need help with making sure I'm eating a balanced diet so that I experience the full benefits of this lifestyle change.

mneola
Glad to hear you're doing

Glad to hear you're doing better already! Our Power Plate Booklet (http://www.pcrm.org/sites/default/files/images/health/pplate/EveryMealPo...) contains a lot of good tips for keeping a balanced diet. You'll learn even more information from the daily tips in this program.

Best regards,
Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola

bravobern1
Carbs and Sugar

Are you kidding me? I looked at the first breakfast item, "Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal", one serving contains 62 Grams of Carbs and 32.9 grams (8 tablespoons) of sugar! This program is not for me.

mneola
Hello there. I hope that I

Hello there. I hope that I can offer an alternative solution for you so that you can still benefit from this program. Please know you can modify the recipes as needed to fit your specific nutrition goals. One way to make this dish more nutrient-dense for example is to cook the oats in water or unsweetened-nondairy milk and then top it with fresh fruit such as apple slices instead of raisins. This would increase the fiber content and lower the total sugar. However, it's equally important to note that on a nutrition label, it does not differentiate between naturally occurring sugars (such as those found in whole fruit) versus added sugars (such as table sugar). While juice and dried fruit are not naturally low in sugar, some people can enjoy them in small quantities and better yet, choose those that have not had sugar added to them. Nonetheless, fresh or frozen whole fruits will always be the best choice for that food group.

I'm happy to continue this discussion. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns about the program.

Thanks,
Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola