COMMUNITY FORUM

Return to community forum >

Low Fat question

Hi everyone, I have been doing the vegan kickstart since the end of July. Started the 21-day program on Aug. 1 and have had great success with my diabetes-related blood sugars (I have type 1) and weight loss (lost 10 pounds so far). Feeling great. But whenever I tell people about my diet, the first thing they do is react with "I'm worried that you aren't getting enough fat." I want to have a definitive response about why it is not a worrry. I always say that there is fat in everything and I don't think it's a problem but it seems that most people beleive that we need certain amounts of fat in our diet. Can anyone help me to explain this. Thanks for all the support.

mneola
Congrats on your results! The

Congrats on your results! The Power Plate food groups (fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains) are made up of foods that naturally have <10% of their calories coming from fat. By eating these foods, you'll have a diet that is about 10% calories coming from fat assuming you limit oils, dining out, highly processed foods, and avoid animal products completely. Adding in small amounts of high-fat plant-based foods such as olives, nuts/seeds, and avocado can be done and still maintain a low-fat diet. Those foods, though high in fat, are healthier than other high-fat foods because they contain mostly unsaturated fats as opposed to trans or saturated fat. Nonetheless, they should be seen as a condiment, not the main feature of the meal. Excess fat in general can lead to weight gain, insulin resistance, and other health complications. Sounds like you're doing a great job.

Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola