COMMUNITY FORUM

Return to community forum >

Alkaline water, digestion, microbiome and b12

I have heard that meds like metformin or those little purple pills for GERD interfere with the acidity of the stomach, gastic juices which makes digestion more difficult, change the micro-biome and also have a negative effect on vitamin B12 levels.
What of this new trend for people to drink pH 9.5 water would that further add to the problems associated with interfering with the acidity of the stomach?

mneola
Medications can change the pH

Medications can change the pH of your stomach. For example, Nexium, the purple pill you refer to, reduces stomach acid for those who have acid reflux. Alkaline water and most plant-based foods are slightly basic. Many factors influence the pH of your stomach so definitely pay attention to how you are feeling if you are on either of those medications. Eating plant-based foods is one step you can take to help promote a good pH and a healthy microbiome. If you follow a 100% vegan diet and take metformin, both of those warrant vitamin B12 supplementation.

Hope that helps,
Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola

vaj
Isn't normal stomach pH 1.5 to 3.0?

I was always under the impression that the gastric juices were extremely acidic, which makes the stomach perform its bit in digestion. I suspect the H 9.5 water may not have much of an effect on the stomach pH due to any buffering effect of the gastric juices , but have heard scientist concerned about longterm effects of reducing the acidity through GERD meds. Fortunately GERD has not been an issue with me since I had a major reduction of weight. I am puzzled on how everything fits together on a deeper level.
I do take heart meds, high blood pressure meds, heart meds for a hypo dynamic left ventricle, neuro meds and metformin. I also had been diagnosed with a fatty liver in the past but my primary care doc says that my labs say that is no longer an issue.
I would like to reverse my cardio vascular issues to as much an extent as possible and hope that transitioning to a vegan lifestyle will make that possible.
My other fear is losing my cognitive abilities as my dad did through Alzheimers.
I am looking forward to learning about more nutritional and lifestyle solutions and thank the PCRM for this quick start program.

mneola
I apologize. Let me clarify..

I apologize. Let me clarify...yes, the pH of your stomach is acidic however everywhere else in your digestive tract (esophagus, small intestine, large intestine) should be neutral. Stomach acid does help digest food which is important. However, reflux medications aim to reduce excess stomach acid which overtime can yield unfavorable results. What you eat certainly has an impact on your digestive tract and choosing plant-based foods is healthful. You can read more about reversal and treatment for cardiovascular disease as well as prevention for Alzheimers on our website and (www.pcrm.org) and www.nutritionmd.org

Thanks for joining us for the kickstart!

Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola

vaj
thanks, for following up

Thank up so much, I appreciate you clarifying.

Kirsten Murray
Plant lectins: whole grain V husks off

Confused by the conflicting schools of thought re whole grain (brown rice, brown flour, brown bread) and beans, legumes, etc versus the Dr Gundry plant lectin discourse, where husks should be removed (white rice, white flour and bread) and most grains and seeds avoided.. Help!

mneola
Hi there,

Hi there,

Dr. Joel Kahn has a neat video about lectins. See if this answers your question.

https://youtu.be/e61XfKF_NpI

Thanks,
Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola

RadDoc
Lectins

I just heard this discussion at work today for the first time. Thank you for the video, Maggie. This will be helpful on Monday! I’m working on educating about vegan/plant-based eating :)