COMMUNITY FORUM

Return to community forum >

Blood sugar spikes

I have Type 2 diabetes.This is day 8 of my Kickstart program, and in general I am finding I need to take more insulin than before, even when I watch my portion sizes E.g. this morning I had 1c. oatmeal, prepared with water (no apple juice), almond milk and stevia and ½ c. blueberries. Two hours later my glucose reading was 17.8. I have been modifying the recipes by deleting root veggies, refined grains, all sweeteners, most fruit. Comments?

mneola
Hi there,

Hi there,

I hope your blood sugars are improving and not regressing. It's important to choose foods that are low in fat which is what will promote better insulin function. Our diabetes page below has a number of resources that explain the science behind a plant-based diet in preventing and reversing type 2 diabetes. Eating foods like fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes are extremely beneficial for good health while reducing or eliminating animal products and other high-fat foods.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes-resources

Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola

GRITSNC
sugar spikes

I found that one thing that has helped me is eating things with the "ancient" grains. For example, The oatmeal I have been eating has different grains in it and my sugar doesn't spike like with regular oatmeal. It even has raisins in it. The bread I use is Arnold 12 grain and it has many grains. I found different pastas that have whole grains and ancient grains with extra protein. I hope this is helpful.

allergicvegan
I would also caution you to

I would also caution you to stick to three meals a day. Researchers found that with Type II diabetes, eating more then 3 meals a day, makes the blood sugar spike. Grazing doesn't work with Type II Diabetes, nor does having snacks. Eating every 2 - 3 hours was found to not be best for Diabetics. I do not know the name of the research though. Sorry!

Shoshana
No grazing or snacking?

I used to eat small amounts all day long. Spacing out the eating is a new concept to me.
I have sugar shakes from this low fat diet so I need a solution.

allergicvegan
Shoshana -

Shoshana -
1. If you start feeling "off" or like you are going to get shaky, then eat. I'd grab whole fruit - bananas are good. Celery with almond butter is a healthy snack.

2. What I do is add in more fiber and more carbs. Garbanzo beans, black beans are both very healthy and loaded with protein and fiber. Hypoglycemics do benefit from eating more often. Every body is different. I get brain fog and shaky if I don't eat enough rice. I also do add in 2 TBs of oil to my diet, but not too much. I was eating enough food otherwise - as long as I ate at least 6 ounces of rice every day. You need to find your balance. Some bodies are made to require more carbs, others less carbs. Complex carbs are best. Quinoa with the samponins removed is excellent and preferred over rice. Quinoa is good with cilantro, lime and a Tex-Mex flavour or Mexican flavour. I react to Quinoa, so I have to use rice. But, I did find out what is good in Quinoa, as I did have it once.

Type 2 Diabetics, usually need to eat 3 or 4 meals a day, and not snack. Research came out that totally debunked the eating every 2 - 3 hours, as they found the blood sugar stayed spiked. But, I'm sure the research participants (as was my friend) was eating an omni diet.

vaj
Blood Sugar Spikes

I have type II diabetes. I found that a highly carb meal like oatmeal, yogurt and banana would lead to shakes later. I could not wait 4 hours before the next meal and would get a sugar low and get shaky. I had reactive hypoglycemia - a decrease in blood sugar, a low. The cure was no bananas. ( also it provokes migraines). Watching the amount of carbs and leating instead low GI foods. Adding a protein.
Before my vegan decision, my was breakfast oatmeal, fruit, yogurt . A snack 1/2 way before lunch of a protein usually 1 once nuts.
If I became shaky, I would eat a small amount of fruit maybe 8 to 12 grapes and some nuts.
The protein is believed to stabilize the blood sugar level and keep it steady.
I suggest you consult with your primary care doctor.

Leora
blood sugar spikes

I am a severe type 1 diabetic over 40 years. Left ADA and carb diet--I got super sick on this vegan diet with high carb things--any type of oatmeal, rice, beans bread spike me from 100 to 300, 400 or 500 compared to meat diet with more protein. So because I wanted to stay on vegan diet, I cut out these complex carbs and stuck to carbs and protein in green and other veggies, cut out fruit except for skins of fruit and lower carb berries, extremely regulated. It's the only way I can do this diet of veganism. I'm not sure if I should go back to meat because the moderate to high carb diet puts me out of commission esp with gastroparesis. But compared to a few weeks ago my glucose is not as roller coaster on lower carb. Also I gained about ten pounds in a short time trying to correct spikes on carbs--even small portions of rice and beans, fruit, sauces etc. Even coffee needs bolus I find. But now with fewer carbs to cause swings, and more fat less carbs, I am doing much better and seem to be losing the wait. I don't know if this info helps. But if anyone can confirm the regular vegan diet is supposed to work for type 1 or does not and I was informed to try veganism, I would like guidance. Any amount of carb heavy vegan recipes on the kickstarter are just causing weight gain and putting me of commission and mh insulin resistance increases. Help?

allergicvegan
With Type 1 diabetes, what

With Type 1 diabetes, what you eat does matter. See if small amounts of Quinoa work for you, because Quinoa has more protein. Beans are supposed to be good for Diabetics - even Type 1 diabetics. Go see a Vegan nutritionist to be sure you are getting all of your nutrients you need. B12 is a key nutrient that might be lacking. Getting enough Choline also matters, and is a nutrient often ignored. It is possible to get enough Choline as a Vegan, but it is determined by what you do eat and how much of it you eat. The Vegan diet won't reverse Type 1 Diabetes. I would be sure that you are eating Tofu ( a complete protein source) as well as nuts so you get more of the proteins you need. Best Wishes!

ahimsa
Leora...

Leora, I just wanted to chime in and say, I think you are doing admirably -- you are coping with a lot and learning what works for you. I'm sorry it has been so challenging and I hope you find the balance that works for you. We're all such individuals and I completely understand how the levels of carbs may be too much for you.

:) ahimsa

mneola
Leora, I would also

Leora, I would also congratulate you for trying to find the best way that you can maintain a vegan diet. I would also second that talking to a plant-based endocrinologist or dietitian would be wise. I figured I'd share our fact sheet with you in case it's helpful. I'm wondering if you were to closely focus on high complex carbohydrate foods in addition to ensuring your diet is low fat (10-15% of your calories coming from fat) if that would be helpful in your blood sugar management. It can take a little bit of time for your body to adjust to that. Again, I don't know your exact health status, but if you can work closely with a health provider, please do!
http://www.pcrm.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/health/Type-1-diabetes-fact...

Thanks,
Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola

profrlj
Close to your previous diet with vegan alternatives

Hi Leora, since you had cow's milk yogurt for breakfast before changing to a vegan diet; have you tried soy or other plant milk yogurt? I have Type II diabetes. I struggled to control it on a vegan diet. I have found really increasing the fiber and protein has helped a lot. High protein oatmeal and pasta helped. Good luck.