COMMUNITY FORUM

Return to community forum >

Completing 1st 21 Day Kickstart

I'm now on day 20 of my first Kickstart program, and I want to express my thanks to PCRM for the program. I have been borderline hypertensive for several years and recently registered a blood pressure of 120/80 at my physician's office. I'm also losing 1.5 - 2 pounds per week. I've now lost 20 pounds over the past two years. My weight loss had stalled eating what's known as a paleo diet. I'd been experimenting with a vegan diet over the past few years, but was never able to maintain it due to not having the right knowledge, encouragement and recipes for good food. The Kickstart Program has provided all that I've needed to maintain a vegan diet. I won't go back to eating animal protein. I'm hopeful that I'll see continued good changes in my health over the next few months.

Finally, I'm a survivor of a meningioma brain tumor, a benign tumor, but one that was fatal in my case due to its size and location. Over the past four years, I've had four surgeries and two rounds of radiation. The second round of radiation was due to a tumor recurrence. I have a terrific team of surgeons and a radiologist; however, they have told me repeatedly that they have no advice on how to care for my brain moving forward. There isn't just enough research on what causes these particular type of brain tumors. After the recurrence, I began thinking about eating a vegan diet again. I figured if a vegan diet is good for heart, diabetes and gut health, perhaps it might be helpful for brain health as well.

Regardless, I am feeling well and am thankful for the daily education and encouragement offered through the Kickstart Program.

Thank you!

VeganRD
Amazing story!

What an incredible story. Thank you for sharing with us!

Susan Levin, M.S., R.D., C.S.S.D.
Director of Nutrition Education
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine