COMMUNITY FORUM

Return to community forum >

Need to GAIN Weight

I know most people aim to lose weight but I'm underweight (and healthy) and need to gain weight (10 lbs). Meals in the 21 Day Kickstart are delicious but the calories are very low. Any tips or suggestions on how to gain weight using 21 Days and/or other ways will be much appreciated. p.s. anyone else having the same concern? :)

mneola
Hello,

Hello,

It may be beneficial to increase portion size and the number of meals you eat per day to get in more calories. I also suggest that you drink water or other beverages between meals/snacks rather than with them to allow for more room to fill your stomach with solid food.

Best,
Maggie Neola, RD

Maggie Neola

clsvegan
Thanks Maggie for your

Thanks Maggie for your response. I just started to increase my meals and portions. Should I be concerned about the increased amounts of carbs (I read that we should limit carbs to 45-60/g a meal) while keeping it low-fat (10-15% for the day)? It seemed hard to increase portions when I limit the carbs per meal.

Thanks.

mneola
Counting carbs is most

Counting carbs is most relevant for someone who takes insulin, otherwise for the majority of people it is not necessary. Eating an adequate amount of different fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes should give a nice balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fat.

Thanks,
Maggie Neola, RD
Physicians Committee

Maggie Neola

clsvegan
Thanks Maggie! Now I'm

Thanks Maggie! Now I'm feeling more optimistic that I can gain weight healthfully, thank you!

Have a wonderful healthful day!

Jolisa
GAINING weight

Hi, I have the same "problem". I've been a vegetarian/vegan for about 20 years. I'm 5'6'' and weigh 118 lbs. I lose weight too easily. I only get about 1200 calories a day and want to get to 2000, but my stomach isn't used to it anymore. Also I don't like to cook, so that doesn't help either...Either I'm hungry all the time, or I don't feel it; it's a vicious circle and I feel very faint. I'm otherwise healthy; no illness. I guess it's a matter of eating more meals and/or bigger ones. But eating throughout the day; what to eat..? I don't eat enough veggies; I like bread better.