COMMUNITY FORUM

Return to community forum >

Soy and thyroid

I have been a vegetarian for 40 some years but not vegan. I'm starting the Kickstart today but feel more limited as I have hypothyroidism and my dr. has told me to avoid soy. I love tofu but have stopped eating it as well as all the soy based meat substitutes which are very highly processed anyway. I used to eat tofu and veggies for breakfast and don't feel as full eating cooked cereal everyday. Any suggestions?

agnes
Breakfast Ideas

How about a smoothie with lots of fruit? I find them filling, or try some different grains cooked with your favorite milk and lots of fruit and yogurt.

ljircitano
Thyroid and Soy

Thanks. I have a Nutrabullet but rarely use it. I used to eat goat's milk yogurt but that's out. What kind of yogurt do you mean? I only like plain yogurt and the nut milk yogurts are all flavored unfortunately.

agnes
Yogurt

I just started making my own yogurt so I can use the milk that I want! and it's so much cheaper!! It's easy and it's turning out good. I bought a cheap ($20) yogurt maker, but i understand that's not even necessary!

ljircitano
Soy & Thyroid

I always made my own yogurt and tried to make it with goat milk rather than cow's milk and had no success. I also found a starter that didn't have dairy in it but again it didn't work - even in my yogurt maker. Can you tell me exactly what you do? Thank you so much. I'd loved to use that maker again. It's just gathering dust!

agnes
I have only tried it with soy

I have only tried it with soy milk (and I use some of my soy yogurt for the starter) so far. I was thinking about trying it with almond milk next. I've been lucky, just heating the milk to just under boiling, letting it cool, adding soy yogurt to half and then mixing it all together, putting it the yogurt maker for 8 hours and straining so it's not too tart. It is a nice thing to have on hand - something about the creamy texture

ljircitano
Soy & Thyroid

Thank you for responding. I used to make yogurt without a maker and made it the way you do. My yogurt maker doesn't say to heat the milk. It worked okay with cow's milk but not goat's. I just found coconut milk yogurt that isn't flavored so I'm going to use that as a starter and see if it works. If not I'll just drink it!

agnes
Yogurt with coconut milk starter

Good luck! Let me know how it works out. What kind of milk will you use the the coconut milk yogurt starter? (I was always concerned with the fat content of coconut so I avoided those products. Is if fatty?

ljircitano
Soy & Thyroid

I like cashew milk. I think it's the most creamy and only 25 calories for 8 oz. Almond milk is good too. Aside from the fat, coconut milk is too watery - wouldn't be great for yogurt. It is pretty blah tasting but I'm hoping the cashew milk will taste better. I'll let you know.

ljircitano
Soy & Thyroid

I made the yogurt with cashew milk, powdered non dairy yogurt starter and 1/4 cup of unflavored coconut yogurt. Didn't work - I give up. It's so expensive to buy.

tito and then bean
Soy and thyroid

My understanding is that it is very much dose dependent as far as soy being goitrogenic and negatively affecting thyroid. Meaning you'd have to eat an awful lot of soy products daily to have it negatively affect your thyroid function or thyroid levels. I have hypothyroidism as well and I do not eliminate soy. I'm not having any trouble with keeping my thyroid levels healthy on thyroid replacement.

Lisa Maturo