COMMUNITY FORUM

Return to community forum >

Portion sizes ?

I am just beginning the Kickstart - I see the portions are relatively small .
They may seem 'normal' insofar as 'average portion' - but I have been on a Meal Plan for an Eating Disorder to 'maintain' my weight and there is certainly a lot more food per day than on that plan than on these. That plan was also either meat/dairy ot vegetarian ( depending on my choice-but not vegan) - so I am confused now . The portions given for this plan to be followed as is; or, as an 'average' or can one eat more than this ? I had heard through PCRM and other plant-based Drs and menus that calorie counting, portion size, is not the idea but rather eating until satisfied and eating when hungry ; particular portion sizes were not rigid? Thank you !

crademan
PCRM suggested portions

Welcome! Trying something new can be a little intimidating and confusing. One of the best things about Kickstart style eating is that eating the meals makes me feel full.

The PCRM's four food groups page suggests that 1 medium piece of fruit • 1/2 cup cooked fruit • 4 ounces juice = 1 of the 3 (or more) fruit portions/day. For legumes, 1/2 cup cooked beans • 4 ounces tofu or tempeh • 8 ounces soymilk = 1 of the 2 (or more) daily servings. 1/2 cup rice or other grain • 1 ounce dry cereal • 1 slice bread = 1 of the 5 servings of whole grains each day. For vegetables, PCRM recommends eating 1 cup raw vegetables • 1/2 cup cooked vegetables 4 or more times per day. Hope this helps!

P.S. Please copy and paste this link into your browser to view the webpage: http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk/vegetarian-starter-kit-new-four-food-groups

Fleming Island Girl
thank you for this!

thank you for this!