COMMUNITY FORUM

Return to community forum >

Culinary Rx

I've done the Kickstart lots of times because it's fun, introduces me to new recipes, and teaches me why Kickstart foods are better. My husband wants me to eat the animal foods he prepares with him. The Kickstart gives me the extra motivation I need to choose to eat a veggie burger instead of one of the burgers he offers me.

Because my husband is very persistent, and a good cook, I'm excited to see the link to Culinary Rx today. I signed up because I want to learn more about the how's and why's of vegan cuisine.

Lauren
Culinary Rx

This was interesting, thanks for flagging it. It looks like a great course. I wish it had been around 5 years ago when I first ventured into veganism.

crademan
Thanks for the encouragement

Hi, Lauren. I'm enjoying doing the course orientation. The tasks are short -- each one takes only a few minutes -- but there are lots of them. It has a 60 day time limit, so I'm going to be working on the course daily. Today I learned about BMI https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-mass-index and waist to hip ratio https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/waist-to-hip-ratio.

Gwynne
Culinary Cooking Class

I am really excited to take the cooking class but I think it would be overwhelming to do it at the same time I'm doing the KickStart Program. What do you think? I'm already really overwhelmed with it and having some problems with the recipes. But my questions is about what someone on here said - that there are things you have to do??? Do you mean like assignments? How is the program organized? Is it more than just watching the videos?

Gwynne

crademan
One activity at a time is best

I'm finding myself overwhelmed with the culinary cooking class because in the midst of it all an adult child & spouse sold their house and are packing to move out of state and another adult child & spouse went out of state for a 10th anniversary vacation. I've been doing a lot of childcare for my grandchildren during the last few weeks.

It would be exceedingly hard to learn all the lessons presented in the cooking class while learning recipes from the Kickstart & how to manage a vegan lifestyle. The cooking class is wonderful because it asks the student to prepare sample recipes and post photos to the class website. You are challenged to learn by DOING. This would be even more difficult for those who are raising children, and working outside their homes.

NEW2THIS
Agree

I agree, Gwynn. Would be interesting to know. I will definitely take the class, but won't sign up until the 21 day kickstart is coming to a close. I've also signed up for the next 21 day kickstart, but am interested in branching out to new resources as well.

Marygrace
meat in the sample videos?

The sample video I viewed on soaking beans had meat on the menu? whats up with that?

Marygrace

crademan
Culinary Rx videos

Hi, Marygrace. I havn't seen the video you viewed. I'm working my way through the tasks in the order they occur in the course. So far I've seen lots of videos of doctors, and one of President Bill Clinton, talking about the benefits of a whole plant food diet, but I haven't viewed any cooking videos yet.

crademan
Half Way Mark

I'm half way through the Culinary Rx course. I wish that my 7th Grade Home Economics teacher had taught us the knife skills that I learned for the first time from this course. I'm more interested in cooking a meal for myself because it's a chance to practice using the safe cutting skills I've learned. In the last few days, I've made lentil soup, curried carrot soup, and marinara sauce with whole wheat spaghetti.

This morning I'm making a recipe by The Buddhist Chef [http://www.thebuddhistchef.com/recipe/roasted-autumn-vegetable-soup/] that I modified to use less oil -- instead of adding 2 TBS of olive oil, I sprayed my vegetables with canola oil baking spray before roasting them.

"Roasting sweet potatoes, carrots and onions helps bring out their natural sweetness. Blend them, and you have a warm, healthy soup for a cool fall night.

Roasted autumn vegetable soup

1 sweet potato
1 onion
3 carrots
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
4 cups (1 L) vegetable stock

Preheat oven to 350˚F or 176˚C.

Coarsely chop the vegetables and place in a large bowl.

Add olive oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper and mix well.

Place on a baking sheet or in a baking dish.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove vegetables from the oven, place in a saucepan and add the vegetable stock.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes.

Using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender, puree soup until smooth."

Lauren
Thanks for your generous

Thanks for your generous posting of this recipe. It sounds totally delicious. I haven't tried roasted veggies in soup before so I'll give that a whirl. Congrats on reaching the halfway point on Culinary RX!