Neal Barnard, M.D.
Neal D. Barnard, M.D., is a nutrition researcher, author, and health advocate. Dr. Barnard conducts studies on the role of nutrition in diabetes, obesity, and lipid management, among other health issues.
In 1985, Dr. Barnard established the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a nonprofit organization advocating for preventive medicine and higher ethical standards in research.
Neal Barnard Books
- Power Foods for the Brain - An Effective 3-step Plan to Protect Your Mind and Strengthen Your Memory
- 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart - Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health
- The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook - 125 Easy and Delicious Recipes to Jump-Start Weight Loss and Help You Feel Great
- The Power of Your Plate - A Plan for Better Living Eating Well for Better Health--20 Experts Tell You How!
- A Physician's Slimming Guide - for Permanent Weight Control
- Turn Off The Fat Genes - The Revolutionary Guide to Losing Weight
- Foods That Fight Pain - Revolutionary New Strategies for Maximum Pain Relief
- Kickstart Your Health with Dr. Neal Barnard DVD - As Seen on PBS!
- Tackling Diabetes with Dr. Neal Barnard DVD - As Seen on PBS!
- Beyond Animal Experiments - Audio Cassette
- Breaking the Food Seduction - The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings—and Seven Steps to End Them Naturally
- The Best in the World III - Healthful Recipes from Exclusive and Out-of-the-Way Restaurants
- Best in the World - Fast, Healthful Recipes from Exclusive and Out-of-the-Way Restaurants
- Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes - The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes without Drugs
- Cancer Survivor’s Guide - Foods that Help You Fight Back!
- Food for Life 90-Day Journal
- Food for Life - How the New Four Food Groups Can Save Your Life
Dr. Barnard's Vegan Program
Join Dr. Barnard's 21-Day Vegan Program to begin receiving tips and recipes. Based on research by Neal Barnard, M.D., one of America’s leading health advocates, this program is designed for anyone wanting to explore the health benefits of a vegan diet. This program repeats the first of each month.
Dr. Barnard’s groundbreaking clinical studies, the latest funded by the National Institutes of Health, show that diabetes responds dramatically to a low-fat, vegetarian diet. Dr. Barnard's program for reversing diabetes outlines a completely new dietary approach to preventing, controlling, and even reversing diabetes.
Neal Barnard Videos
|Tackling diabetes with a bold new dietary approach: Neal Barnard at TEDxFremont||Benefits of a vegan diet - Dr. Neal Barnard|
Currently 100 million Americans are pre-diabetic or diabetic, and one in three kids born after the year 2000 will develop diabetes. Neal Barnard, clinical researcher and founder of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine , identifies the causes of this serious issue and advises us how we can fight these statistics.
Neal Barnard, MD Founder and President, Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine in Washington DC took place at the 6th International Congress on Vegetarian Nutrition on February 24 in Loma Linda, California. His presentation was: " Vegetarian diets for weight loss and management: Evidence from clinical trials".
|Breaking The Food Seduction - by Dr. Neal Barnard||Alzheimer's & Diet -- Neal Barnard MD|
Whether you're drawn to chocolate, cookies, potato chips, cheese, or burgers and fries, we all have foods we can't seem to resist—foods that sabotage our best efforts to lose weight and improve our health. These foods are winning the battle—but that's because we're fighting it in the wrong place.
Neal Barnard MD covers the well established research showing a diet heavy in animal products and bad fats (from junk food) dramatically increase your risk of Alzheimer's. In this short excerpt, Neal Barnard MD discuss some of the evidence. You can get Dr. Barnard's full talk on Alzheimer's here.
|Dr. Neal Barnard - Salt/Oil/Sugar-Free Diet Tips - Power Foods For the Brain||Neal Barnard, MD: Power Foods for the Brain|
Neal Barnard Blog
Articles by Neal Barnard
Dr. Barnard’s articles have appeared in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the American Journal of Medicine, the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, the American Journal of Cardiology, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Lancet Oncology, Preventive Medicine, and many other scientific and medical journals. Here is a select list of media coverage by and about Neal Barnard, M.D.:
- Cows, Not Coal, Are the Real Climate Change Culprits
- New Study Explodes the 'Eskimo Myth'
- Grease Is Good? Not So Fast!
- Freeing HumanityMore Drugs? How About Less Bacon?
- Are Sugar and Sloth the Causes of Obesity, Or Just Convenient Whipping Boys?
- Beat Osteoporosis: Break Your Dairy Addiction
- Global Outcry Against Injecting Beagle Puppies with Rabies
- James Gandolfini Did Not Die of Natural Causes
- How Deeply Does America Care About Children?
- Soy and Your Health
- Mayor Bloomberg on the Right Track With Food Stamp Soda Ban
- Could Processed Meat Give You Cancer?
- Five Ways to Save Billions, and Boost the Nation's Health
- Greasy Burgers, Sausages Don't Belong In President's Photo-Op
- Save the Bay, Save Your Life
- New U.S. Dietary Guidelines Emphasize Plant-Based Foods
- Do We Eat Too Much Meat?
- Childhood Obesity: Michelle Obama Wants You to Get Serious About It
- Avoid These Five New Year's Resolution Mistakes
- The Daily Mail: Will Those Senior Moments Turn Into Alzheimer's?
- Prevention: Three Metals You Don’t Know You’re Eating
- U.S. News and World Report: The Best Foods For Lowering Your Blood Pressure
- Reuters: Eating Cruciferous Vegetables May Lower Inflammation
- Dr. Oz: How to Learn the Most From Your Annual Physical
- The Washingtonian: How Going Vegetarian Can Lower Blood Pressure
- Medscape: Is Avoiding Grains a Mistake? How Bad Fats Harm the Brain
- The Toronto Star: Massive Study Finds Vegetarian Diets Lower Blood Pressure
- CNN: Vegetarian Diet May Lower Your Blood Pressure
- Los Angeles Times: Vegetarian Diet Associated with Lower Blood Pressure
- LiveScience.com: Vegetarian Diets Lower Blood Pressure
- The New York Times: The Mayor Went Vegan Then Spread the Word
- Access Hollywood: Simple Ways to go Vegan in 2014
- FoxNews.com: 9 Ways to Improve Your Memory
- SHAPE.com: Healthy Eating Tips
- NPR’s Intelligence Squared: Should We Eat Anything With a Face?
- Scientific American: Face Off! Don't Eat Anything With a Face Debate
- Access Hollywood: Beyonce and Jay Z Go Vegan
- U.S. News and World Report: How One Man Defeated Diabetes
- Popular Science: Can Artificial Meat Save The World?
- O, The Oprah Magazine: 3 Metals That Might Cause Memory Problems
- U.S. News and World Report: Cut the Fat From Food Stamps
- Boston Globe: Should We Eat Meat?
- ABC News: 7 Ways to Prevent Alzheimer's Disease
- Uk's The Times: Protect your brain at every age
- AARP: Are Heavy Metals Evildoers in Alzheimer’s Disease?
- Fox News Latino: Celebrities Join The Cause For Healthier Living
- The Wall Street Journal: A ‘Friend-Raiser’ With Food on the Brain
- Access Hollywood: Healthy Hollywood: Fab Food Friday - Feed Your Brain!
- Prevention: Should You Take a Multivitamin?
- Prevention: You Can Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
- Everyday Health: Step-By-Step Alzheimer's Prevention [Infographic]
- Joy Behar-Say Anything!: Dr. Neal Barnard with tips on what to eat to improve memory and brainpower
- Boston Herald: An apple a day keeps Alzheimer’s woes away?
- Access Hollywood: Dr. Neal Barnard's Power Foods To Boost Your Brai
- The Ellen DeGeneres Show: Food to Help You Sleep
- O, The Oprah Magazine: 6 Easy Ways to Improve Your Memory
- Woman's World: Twice-as-powerful health tricks: Get slim and prevent brain-aging!
- The Boston Globe: Want brain power? Doctor says to mind your diet.
- Anderson Live: Brain Foods: Delicious Recipes
- RadioMD: Want to keep your mind sharp? Pay attention to your stomach.
- The Dr. Oz Show: Prevent Alzheimer's in Three Steps
- CBS This Morning: Alzheimer's disease: What you eat influences your risk factor
- Great Minds: Great Minds - Dr. Neal Barnard - Can you Reverse Disease? Part 1 and Part 2
- Forbes: Food that Might Protect Your Brain and Save Your Life: A Discussion about the Ecology of Alzheimer's With Dr. Neal Barnard
- TEDxTalks: Tackling diabetes with a bold new dietary approach: Neal Barnard at TEDxFremont
- Bloomberg: Hamptons Scene: Maltese Baci Greets Vegans, Kucinich
- CBS News: Celebrity Circuit
- New York Times: Got Milk? You Don’t Need It
- The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead profiles PCRM president Neal Barnard, M.D.
- The Daily covers PCRM president Dr. Neal Barnard’s pink slime letter to First Lady Michelle Obama
- Forbes interviews PCRM president Neal Barnard, M.D., about food, diet, and health
- CNN interviews PCRM president Neal Barnard, M.D., about the Grim Reaper cheese billboard
- Sacramento's FOX affiliate interviews Dr. Barnard about his Kickstart book tour
- New York’s Daily News prints op-ed by PCRM president Neal Barnard, M.D., on banning foods stamps for unhealthy foods
- CNN's ISSUES with Jane Velez-Mitchell features Dr. Barnard discussing chocolate milk's impact on childhood obesity
- St. Petersburg Times prints op-ed by Dr. Barnard on agriculture subsidies
- San Francisco's The Examiner interviews PCRM president Neal Barnard, M.D., about his 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart book
- The Wall Street Journal prints letter by Dr. Barnard on a lifesaving prescription
- The New York Times quotes Dr. Barnard in dairy exposé
- CBSNews.com features Dr. Barnard's 15 Food Myths That Can Kill You
- Mumbai Mirror covers Dr. Barnard’s tour of India
- Voice of America profiles Dr. Barnard
- Dr. Barnard discusses vegan diets on Extra: Watch "Goodbye Meat, Hello Healthy" online
- Dr. Barnard discusses diabetes with Dr. Mehment Oz on Oprah and Friends Radio
- Vegan Diet May Treat Diabetes
- Neal Barnard - Founder, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, Washington
- New Ideas About Halting Diabetes (pdf)
- Neal Barnard, M.D., on The Early Show talking about heart disease and diet
- Salon.com: "His ideas on diet and ethical medicine could prolong Dick Cheney's life (and yours), stop animal torture and improve Ted Nugent's attitude. Why isn't this man surgeon general?"
Neal Barnard Clinical Research and Publicatons
The Washington Center for Clinical Research is a program of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine that conducts research on the role of nutrition in health. The Washington Center is a subsidiary of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. Read Dr. Barnard's clinical research studies and a partial listing of scientific publications by Neal Barnard, M.D.
1. Barnard N.D. et al. "A low-fat vegan diet improves glycemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in a randomized clinical trial in individuals with type 2 diabetes", Diabetes Care, 2006, 29(8), pp. 1777–1783.
2. Barnard, N; Scialli, AR; Bobela, S (2002). "The Current Use of Estrogens for Growth-Suppressant Therapy in Adolescent Girls". Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology 15 (1): 23–6. doi:10.1016/S1083-3188(01)00135-8. PMID 11888806.
3. Barnard, N; Scialli, A; Turnermcgrievy, G; Lanou, A; Glass, J (2005). "The effects of a low-fat, plant-based dietary intervention on body weight, metabolism, and insulin sensitivity". The American Journal of Medicine 118 (9): 991–7. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2005.03.039. PMID 16164885.
4. Barnard, N; Scialli, AR; Hurlock, D; Bertron, P (2000). "Diet and sex-hormone binding globulin, dysmenorrhea, and premenstrual symptoms". Obstetrics & Gynecology 95 (2): 245–50. doi:10.1016/S0029-7844(99)00525-6. PMID 10674588.
5. Sharkey, Joe. "Perennial Foes Meet Again in a Battle of the Snack Bar",The New York Times, November 23, 2004.
6. Wadman, Meredith. "Profile: Neal Barnard", Nature, 206, 12: 602.
- Also see Brandt, Peter. "A Conversation with Dr. Neal Barnard", Salon, March 12, 2001.
7. Even, Megha S. et al. "Development of a novel ELISA for human insulin using monoclonal antibodies produced in serum-free cell culture medium", Clinical Biochemistry, Volume 40, Issues 1-2, (2007), pp. 98–103. PMID 17123500
8. Testing for insulin without the pitter-patter of little feet, Newsguide, January 31, 2007.
9. Washington Center For Clinical Research, idealist.org, accessed February 6, 2011.
10. "Biographical Sketch", nealbarnard.org, accessed February 6, 2011.
11. Barnard, N.D. Foods that Fight Pain. Harmony Books, 1998.
12. Barnard, N.D. Food for Life. Harmony Books, 1993.
13. Ask the expert, Neal Barnard, M.D., The Cancer Project, retrieved November 17, 2007
14. "White House Decries Physicians Committee's Poster, Which Mentions Obama Girls", Washington Post, retrieved April 27, 2012
15. "Legal Alert". Atkinsdietalert.org. Retrieved December 6, 2011.
16. Mary Carmichael, Atkins Under Attack, Newsweek, February 2004
17. Tara Godvin, "Doctor: Atkins Data Wasn't for Public", Newsday, February 13, 2004