Orange Couscous Salad
Ingredients: 50 Servings
- 3 quarts Water
- 2-1/2 quarts Couscous, whole wheat
- 2 tablespoons Turmeric, ground
- 2 teaspoons Black pepper, ground
- 6-1/2 pound Chickpeas, canned, drained
- 48 ounces Mandarin oranges, canned, drained
- 3-1/2 cups Onion, red, small, diced
- 1 quart Raisins, seedless
- 1/3 cup Orange zest, minced
- 1-1/2 cups Lemon juice
- 2/3 cup Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Chives, dry
1 cup salad mixture
Each serving provides ½ cup fruit/vegetable, and 1 serving breads/grains.
1. In a large saucepan heat water to a boil. Add couscous, turmeric, and black pepper and cover. Turn off heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and let sit.
2. In a large bowl combine chickpeas, oranges, onion, and raisins.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together orange zest, lemon juice, olive oil, and chives. Pour dressing over chickpeas mixture in bowl. Once mixed, fold in the cooled couscous.
4. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrients Per Serving
- Calories 311 kcal
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Iron 3 mg
- Protein 10 g
- Cholesterol 0 g
- Calcium 52 mg
- Carbohydrate 60 g
- Vitamin A 255 IU
- Sodium 95 mg
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Vitamin C 10 mg
- Dietary Fiber 8 g
Recipe source: Produce for Better Health Foundation.