CONNECT WITH PCRM
Let's Really Move Hot Dogs Out of School Lunches
The Institute of Medicine's report School Meals: Building Blocks for Healthy Children raised concerns about the use of processed meats, such as hot dogs, bacon, and sausage, in school meals because of cancer risk. Processed meats also increase the risk of premature death, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.
- Consuming processed meats increases the risk of colorectal cancer, according to a large number of studies, including the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study.
- An NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study found that processed red meat was associated with a 10 percent increased risk of prostate cancer with every 10 grams of increased intake.
- A study in Taiwan showed that consumption of cured and smoked meat can increase children’s risk for leukemia.
- A study in Australia found that women’s risk for ovarian cancer increased as a result of eating processed meats.
- A study from the Harvard School of Public Health says that a daily serving of processed meats, like one hot dog, sausage, or a few bacon strips, increases the risk of premature death by 20 percent, including from heart disease or cancer.
- The federal government’s 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans say that processed meats are a major contributor of solid fats and increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- A review in the journal Diabetologia found that those who regularly eat processed meats increase their risk for diabetes by 41 percent.
Let’s Really Move Cheese Out of School Lunches
Let’s Really Move Hot Dogs Out of School Lunches
Let’s Really Move Milk Out of School Lunches
Let's Really Move Home Page
Vegetarian Options for School Lunch Programs
Learn about advantages for children’s health, meeting USDA requirements, menu makeovers, introducing new options, advice for parents, vegetarian product vendors, vegetarian commodities, and additional resources. Download Vegetarian Options for School Lunch Programs (PDF).
Learn more at HealthySchoolLunches.org >