Session 9. Healthy Heart
Aim: To help participants understand how food choices influence heart health.
- Attendance sheet
- A New Approach to Nutrition for Diabetes DVD
- AV equipment to show DVD
- Extension cord
- Large writing surface and writing tool
- Paper/pens for group members
Welcome and Introductions:
- Pass around attendance sheet.
- Ask participants (one by one) to discuss their successes and challenges of the past week.
DVD (11:51): “Keeping a Healthy Heart” from A New Approach to Nutrition for Diabetes: Section A, Segment 5
The DVD covers:
- Dean Ornish’s study using vegetarian foods and other lifestyle factors to reverse heart disease
- LDL, HDL, and triglycerides, and how foods affect them
Lecture and Discussion (15 minutes):
- Discuss some foods that support heart health (beans and other legumes, and oatmeal for example).
- Discuss how fiber helps the body eliminate cholesterol.