Session 7. Weight Loss
Aim: To equip participants with the skills to choose the vegan foods that promote weight loss.
- Attendance sheet
- Chapter 7: Weight Loss from Nutrition Education Curriculum DVD
- AV equipment to show DVD
- Extension cord
- Large writing surface and writing tool
- Paper/pens for group members
Welcome and Introductions:
- Pass around attendance sheet.
- Ask participants (one by one) to discuss their successes and challenges of the past week.
DVD (9:43): “Designing a Diet for Maximum Weight Control” from A New Approach to Nutrition for Diabetes: Section A, Segment 3
Lecture and Discussion (15 minutes):
- Compare calorie content per gram of fat (9 calories) and carbohydrate (4 calories).
- Explain the benefits of a high-fiber diet. Fiber satisfies the appetite, so you stop eating earlier. Every 14 grams of fiber cuts 10 percent off calorie intake.
- Importance of eating breakfast for promoting weight loss. (e.g., helps prevent binging later in the day)
- Give examples of low-fat, vegan diet-friendly breakfast choices.
Practicum (15 minutes): Ask participants to complete Quick Fiber Check (Appendix 6) and discuss the results.
|Session 8 >|