Session 6. Dining Out
Aim: To help participants to select healthful choices at restaurants.
- Attendance sheet
- Chapter 6: Dining Out from Nutrition Education Curriculum DVD
- AV equipment to show DVD
- Extension cord
- Large writing surface and writing tool
- Paper/pens for group members
Welcome and Introductions:
- Pass around attendance sheet.
- Ask participants (one by one) to discuss their successes and challenges of the past week.
DVD (4:27): “Getting in Gear” from The Power of Food: Session 3
Lecture and Discussion (15 minutes): You may wish to use Appendix 4 on healthy dining out tips and discuss which items would be good choices and why. Which items could be modified to fit the guidelines?
- Give examples of low-fat vegan choices.
- Ask server that oil be minimized, and sauces served on the side.
- Don’t be shy about asking for things that aren’t listed on the menu (e.g., oatmeal, spaghetti)
- Anticipate what you will face. You can call ahead or check menus online.