Session 16. Digestive Health
Aim: To help participants to understand how smart food choices maintain digestive health.
- Attendance sheet
- Chapter 16: Digestive Health from Nutrition Education Curriculum DVD
- AV equipment to show DVD
- Extension cord
- Large writing surface and writing tool
- Paper/pens for group members
Welcome and Introductions:
- Pass around attendance sheet.
- Ask participants (one by one) to discuss their successes and challenges of the past week.
DVD (9:54): “Digestive Health” from The Power of Food: Session 6
The DVD covers:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Lactose intolerance
- Crohn’s disease
- Gall stones
- Colon cancer
Lecture and Discussion:
- If gas is a problem, the culprit is often beans or other legumes. The solution is to: (1) start with small servings and (2) cook beans thoroughly.
- Is fiber from whole grains, fruits, and vegetables good for the digestive tract?