Session 11. Healthy Eating During Work and Travel
Aim: To help participants select healthy vegan foods while at work or traveling.
- Attendance sheet
- Chapter 11: Healthy Eating During Work and Travel from Nutrition Education Curriculum DVD
- AV equipment to show DVD
- Extension cord
- Large writing surface and writing tool
- Paper/pens for group members
Welcome and Introductions:
- Pass around attendance sheet.
- Ask participants (one by one) to discuss their successes and challenges of the past week.
DVD (11:12): “Healthy Eating During Work, Travel, and Holidays” from A New Approach to Nutrition for Diabetes: Section A, Segment 6
The DVD covers:
- The key to healthy eating is to plan ahead. This merits repeating!
- “International” restaurants (e.g., Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Japanese) often have low-fat vegan choices.
- Fast-food vegan choices will be found at Subway, Taco Bell, and other restaurants.
- Hotels can provide microwaves and refrigerators.
- Some healthy foods go great at work.
Lecture and Discussion: What challenges do you see coming up? How can we solve them?
Practicum, if you have time (10 minutes): Make and/or bring in to show participants some simple foods and snacks that participants can keep with them at their desks at work or while traveling.