Session 17. Hypertension
Aim: To equip participants with knowledge on how foods affect blood pressure.
- Attendance sheet
- The Power of Food DVD
- AV equipment to show DVD
- Extension cord
- Large writing surface and writing tool
- Paper/pens for group members
Welcome and Introductions:
- Pass around attendance sheet.
- Ask participants (one by one) to discuss their successes and challenges of the past week.
DVD (5:09): “Healthy Blood Pressure” from The Power of Food: Session 7
The DVD covers:
- Systolic and diastolic blood pressure
- Goals (normal range)
- Managing hypertension
- Sodium and potassium
- The benefits of vegetables and fruits
- Vegetarian diets
- DASH diet
Note: For more information, you may wish to read pages 163-166 of Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes.