Basic Principles for All Classes
- Make a “Thank You Sandwich.” That is, thank participants before each session and again after each session.
- Remain positive and gentle.
- Always respect confidentiality.
- Set aside blame.
- Turn questions to the group whenever possible.
- Keep the focus on participants, not on your personal story or outside life.
- Never make reference to religion or politics or poke fun at a participant, even jokingly.
Typical Sequence for Class Sessions
Participants will appreciate starting on time and cannot exceed the allotted time.
- Have an attendance sheet ready for participants to allow them to sign in as they arrive.
- Keep a scale in a private area of the office and encourage participants to weigh themselves before each session, if possible. A staffer may need to assist, and should remain encouraging regarding the results.
- Welcome the participants and thank them for participating.
- Invite participants, one by one, to describe their experiences during the previous week, with group problem-solving.
- Promote discussion and more group problem-solving.
- Thank participants for coming.