Session 2. Overview of the Vegan Diet
Aim: To familiarize participants with the vegan diet and to help them plan their meals.
- Attendance sheet
- The Power of Food DVD
- AV equipment to show DVD
- Extension cord
- Large writing surface and writing tool
- Paper/pens for group members
Welcome and Introductions (10 minutes):
- Thank participants for coming.
- Introduce instructors.
- Invite participants to introduce themselves (by their first names) and briefly mention what they hope to get from the program.
- Distribute participant binders
DVD (15:55): “The Power of Your Plate” from The Power of Food: Session 1
The DVD covers:
- Benefits of the diet and success stories
- Calories in fatty foods versus carbohydrates (with participant interaction!)
- Initial ideas for menu planning
Lecture and Discussion (20 minutes):
- Ask participants to open their binders to the Menu Planning Form.
- Ask them to think about ideas for breakfasts, lunches, and dinners that omit animal products and are reasonably low in oil. These should be meals they would like to test out this coming week.
- For ideas, check Appendix 2.
Home Activities (2 minutes): Test out meals, aiming to find at least one breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner that meets the guidelines and that you really like.