Slow-Cooked Steel Cut Oatmeal
Makes 15 to 20 one-half cup servings
- Slow-cooker Crock-Pot (optional: timer for Crock-Pot)
- Measuring cups
- Serving spoon
- 2 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- 11 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups dried fruit, chopped into bite-sized pieces as needed, e.g., apricots, raisins, dates, prunes (serves to lightly sweeten the oatmeal)
- Add all ingredients to the Crock-Pot.
- Cook for 6 1/4 hours on LOW (be careful to not overcook).
- Stir and scrape down the sides towards the end of the cook time.
Note: Ratio of water to steel cut oats is 4 1/2 cups water for every 1 cup of oats.
Recipe adapted from RecipeZaar.com