PCRM Staff Favorite: Fig and Spice Raw Oatmeal
Makes 30 servings
- Food processor (it will be helpful to use a large-capacity food processor if you’re serving a large crowd)
- Medium to large fine mesh strainer
- Extra-large bowl for soaking the steel cut oats
- Medium to large bowl for soaking the figs
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 45 medium Calimyrna (Turkish) figs, dried, soaked in water
- 9 cups steel cut oats, soaked in filtered water
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Nutmeg, to taste
- Allspice, to taste
- Place oats in a very large bowl with enough filtered water to cover by a couple of inches. Soak overnight. The oats will soak up a lot of water to use a large bowl and put in as much water as possible.
- Place figs in a bowl with enough filtered water to just cover. Soak overnight.
- Secure a large colander and large food processor (ideally a 14-cup capacity)
- Rinse and drain oats. Add half the quantity of oats to a 14-cup capacity food processor.
- Reserving the fig soak water, add half the quantity of figs.
- Add approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 3/4 teaspoon allspice, to taste.
- Add between 2 1/4 cups and 4 1/2 cups of the fig soak water and blend. Add fig soak water gradually until desired consistency is reached.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Recipe adapted from Vegan Fusion World Cuisine