Medical Billing Specialist
The Physicians Committee is a nonprofit organization working toward compassionate and effective medical practice, research, and health promotion. Since 1985, PCRM has led the way for reforms of federal nutrition policies, and our clinical research programs are breaking new ground in diabetes, cancer, and other serious medical conditions. We have fought for an emphasis on prevention, higher ethical standards in research, and scientific advances in basic research and effective drug development. Over the years, we have taken on battles to end ethically questionable experiments involving children and inhumane animal experiments and have worked to improve science education. We have worked with physicians, federal regulators, politicians, researchers, educators, students, and concerned citizens. And we have so much more work to do.
About this Career Opportunity
PCRM is opening a medical center this fall, and we are looking for a highly skilled Medical Billing Specialist to join our team. If you are a talented medical biller with exceptional administrative and customer service skills, we want to hear from you. The position involves performing a complete range of customer service, billing and administrative tasks in a medical office: greeting patients; receiving phone calls; scheduling appointments; coordinating patient flow; maintaining records; processing payments; and coordinating all aspects of billing - collecting, posting and managing account payments; submitting claims, following up with the insurance companies and making every effort to collect account balances. The Medical Billing Specialist will also be involved in planning and preparing for the opening of the medical clinic, including implementation of our billing system. This is a full-time position located at PCRM’s headquarters in Washington, D.C.
We are looking for a team player who will tackle his or her work with a sense of urgency, persistence, vigor, and a positive attitude. A demonstrated interested in PCRM’s mission is required as is experience with medical billing, electronic medical records, and practice management software. Proficiency in Spanish is a plus. If you share these qualities, are passionate about PCRM's mission to advance the field of preventive medicine and ethical research, are compassionate, and are looking to make the world a better place, we'd like to hear from you.
- Prepare and submit clean claims to various insurance companies electronically
- Answer questions from patients, administrative staff and insurance companies
- Identify and resolve patient billing complaints
- Evaluate patient’s financial status and establish budget payment plans
- Review accounts for possible assignment and make recommendations to prepare the account for the collection agency
- Perform various collection actions including contacting patients by phone
- Make every effort to collect the patient balance
- Correct and resubmit claims to third party payers
- Process payments from insurance companies and follow end-of-the-day bank reconciliation
- Protect patients' rights by maintaining confidentiality of personal and financial information
- Maintain safe, secure, and healthy work environment to comply with OSHA standards,
- Adhere to HIPPA laws
- High School Diploma
- Medical Billing Certification
- Lifting 20-30 lbs.
- Standing and walking for periods of time
How to Apply
In your cover letter, please tell us about the values we share, your accomplishments, your salary requirements, and your billing and customer service expertise. Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and reference the position title in your subject line. We look forward to hearing from you!