CONNECT WITH PCRM
Junior Web/Database Developer
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is a nonprofit organization working toward compassionate and effective medical practice, research, and health promotion. Since 1985, PCRM has led the way for reforms of federal nutrition policies, and our clinical research programs are breaking new ground in diabetes, cancer, and other serious medical conditions. We have fought for an emphasis on prevention, higher ethical standards in research, and scientific advances in basic research and effective drug development. Over the years, we have taken on battles to end ethically questionable experiments involving children and inhumane animal experiments and have worked to improve science education. We have worked with physicians, federal regulators, politicians, researchers, educators, students, and concerned citizens. And we have so much more work to do.
About this Opportunity
PCRM is seeking a Junior Web/Database Developer to assist our current Web/Database developer and the overall web team in creating and supporting database applications for our websites. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience with a web application development using a range of web and database technologies as used in a nonprofit environment. The ideal candidate will be a flexible and team-oriented individual who relishes developing innovative solutions to better promote our life-saving mission.
- Database support
- Create new databases, tables, and views as needed to support new Web applications and support legacy applications
- Provide support to users of database-integrated Web applications
- Web support
- Create database-integrated Web applications
- Create dynamic website content
- Create electronic documents
- Migrate legacy applications to the Web
- Register domain names
- Maintain written standard operating procedures for primary areas of responsibility
- Assist staff with Web and database related technical questions as needed
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned
Required Education, Experience and Skills
- Education and Experience
- Preferred: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, or Master of Arts in computer science/technology degree program plus a minimum of three years full-time related work experience
- Alternatively: four of the following certifications: PHP*, SQL*, MCP*, MYSQL* MCSD, Oracle DBA, MCDBA, OpenGL or CIW plus three years full-time related work experience (* = preferred certifications)
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with the following Web development and database languages is required:
- Adobe ColdFusion
- Transact SQL
- Additional helpful skills: IIS, Jquery, XML, Adobe Flash, PHP, mySQL;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work well under pressure, meet deadlines, and summarize key issues and activities
- Ability to identify problems and develop solutions
- Professional skills, demeanor, and work ethic
- Must maintain a sense of urgency, efficiency, and flexibility
- Enthusiasm for PCRM’s mission to promote plant-based diets and alternatives to the use of animals in research, education, training, and testing
- Ability and willingness to travel to related seminars, conferences, training, meetings, etc.
Terms of employment: This is a full-time position in PCRM’s Metro-accessible office in the Friendship Heights neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $53,000 to $58,000/year, depending on experience. PCRM offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance in addition to opportunities for continuing education and professional development.
How to Apply: In your cover letter, please tell us about your accomplishments and your interest in our organization’s mission. Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the position title in your subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.
Hosting a PCRM Event
Opportunities for Visiting Medical Residents
PCRM Senior Staff